Sealing valve cover?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

WR450FGreg
TRX-Enthusiast

Sealing valve cover?

Post by WR450FGreg » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:13 am

I am about to re-fit the rocker cover on my TRX with a new gasket after checking valve clearances.

Do you guys use any sort of sealant on the gasket?
I've been in the habit (with past bikes) of coating the rubber gasket on both sides with Permatex Ultra Blue before assembly as extra insurance against leaks.
Do you guys do similar, or something else? Is sealant necessary at all?

Thanks in advance.

Greg
'98 TRX850, '08 WR450F, '91 TZ250, '79 TZ350, '76 TZ250, '80 KX125.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Sealing valve cover?

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:08 pm

Just apply a little to the top of the gasket so it adheres to the cam cover. Leave the bottom clean and free of sealant.
You should be able remove the cam cover with ease with the gasket attached and not have any issues with the gasket plus it makes it easy to align when placing the cam cover back on the head again.
I've had my camcover on and off a number of times using the same gasket of late and it makes it so easy.
Never had any issues with leaks either. :wink:

With it stuck to the cam cover it leaves it free to access the cams and buckets plus if it needs to be removed the sealant is not stuck to the head...
laughter is the best medicine

WR450FGreg
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by WR450FGreg » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:32 pm

Cool, thanks cobbadiggabuddyblooo!
Makes sense. :thumbleft:
'98 TRX850, '08 WR450F, '91 TZ250, '79 TZ350, '76 TZ250, '80 KX125.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Wed May 06, 2015 1:20 pm

With cobba on this - do the same and my rocker cover has been off a few times! starting to feel off my bloody rocker myself (I got broke bike blues)

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi all

Digging this one out here. When you replace an engine casing gasket (i.e. clutch cover or else), you clean the surfaces from any old gasket remains and use a Yamaha OEM gasket but do you use any sealant at all?

Cheers
Adrien

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:50 pm

Carefully get all old gasket and sealant off casings, use a plastic ice scraper so you dont damage faces, if the gasket is dry or not very flexible try soking in water.

I lightly coat both sides of my gaskets in grease before fitting, makes them easier to pull apart and you have a better chance of being able to re-use the gasket.

The only gasket I use sealant on is the cam cover - I hate seeing gasket sealer squirting out the sides of a joint - looks really amateur + where is all the stuff inside the cases and where will it end up?

As an added precaution, especially with alternator gaskets I have several long 6mm bars threaded at one end, which I screw into the crankcases, I can then use these as guide pins to locate the gasket and make sure the cases go on square