Fuel tap repaired/glued

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Dino
TRX-Enthusiast

Fuel tap repaired/glued

Post by Dino » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:22 am

Hello all , just a FYI on a repair I did to my fuel tap . About three months ago my 98 started to run rough , not all the times but mostly after a 100 k plus run , then I stated to get a fuel smell that got progressively worse and worse . Fuel was leaking from the bottom of the tap , after removal I noticed that the L shaped spigot at bottom of the tap that connects to the fuel line was loose . Went to the yamaha dealer who said for 200 dollars I could have the last tap left in Australia , after getting my breath back from doing cartwheels of joy I politely declined his offer . So I removed the L spigot which is a press fit with some type of fibre o ring and took all to a hydraulic shop to see what they could do , but unfortunately they couldn't help me with it . The chap behind the counter told me about this glue they use in the trucking industry to give loose bearings a tight fit ( hang in there nearly done) and he measured the in and out at .3 mill gap . The glued he sold and iv'e used is Cyberbond RH 98 in a 10 mill bottle . A good clean with brake cleaner and air dry ,apply glue , join together wait 12 plus hours , 18 better . All done , 3 months down the track no leaks no rough running and all for about $15 ( 7 quid) hope this helps .

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Re: Fuel tap repaired/glued

Post by Con Rod » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:02 pm

It is easier just to replace it if you ask me. Between the vacuum off valve and that elbow I reckon the stock tap is a pain.

I just replaced mine with an on/off/reserve tap. Have never had an issue since

Paul

wreckage
Site Sponsor

Post by wreckage » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:39 pm

G'day, Con Rod.

Great recommendation. I will get a tube as I too have the 'loose elbow' syndrome (http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 37&t=10582)

Cheers.
Wherever you go, there you are.
:riding:

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 am

I've always removed my hose from the vacuum pump and left the small bendy bit of hose on the tap the 100's of times I have had to take the tank off . It's such a snug tight fit I don't place the large clip back into position and just but it up to the vacuum pump pipe and never had any issues .
laughter is the best medicine

QuickDraw
Site Sponsor

Post by QuickDraw » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:11 am

I wrapped the elbow mating-surface with a tiny bit of plumbers silicone tape, and pushed it in hard...
Only to find the leak was actually a small split in the hose :lol: #-o

So far so good.