Bolts for brake rotors

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Tigcraft
TRX-Enthusiast

Bolts for brake rotors

Post by Tigcraft » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:07 pm

So, just stripping the front wheels and six bolts destroyed holding the discs. Need new bolts although I'm lead to believe they are not standard mild steel bolts. What's my cheapest option as it's only a budget bike?

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Bolts for brake rotors

Post by Snod Blatter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:51 pm

The size of the head of these bolts is not standard, and the length of them is a bit weird too. I ended up buying some titanium bolts for mine but I really do not recommend doing this, titanium galls like an absolute bitch and should never be used to make a bolt, I doubt mine will ever come out again. I desperately searched for a Torx version before going that way but no such luck, if you find something useful let us know! Oh and try not to use stainless either, it's not really strong/durable enough for this application.

I also bought some flanged zinc plated 8.8 steel bolts, they glide into the thread with delicious ease but the heads of the bolts were too big and hit the lip on the inside of the wheel around the speedo drive, so that plan didn't work out either. D'oh!
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Brakes and Budget. Not two words I like to put together. :?
Just saying :wink:
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

Rich
Site Sponsor

Post by Rich » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 pm

they're loctited in, warm them up first to remove - for saying that I had to drill out the rear ones and fit helicoils as they were all corroded in as well!!

Best replacements button head torx, M8 x 30mm if you have a tap to clean the threads out, M8 x 25 if you don't, what happens if you stick a washer under the M8 bolts?

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 pm

After finding the bolts wouldn't fit with the OE discs (though they fitted fine with cheap Kagizume discs underneath with a thicker carrier) I decided to try the titanium bolts again. It was a one way ticket :roll:
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Either buy OEM bolts or understand what you are buying.

Using any old bolts on brake discs could be fatal given the sheer forces at play

Tigcraft
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tigcraft » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Ok thanks to you all for your help. Cheers Eric