Engine refurb

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Engine refurb

Post by billy budge » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Evening,

Has anyone ever had their rex engine powder coated rather than painted??? I have finally got some funds to finish my build and being extremely crippled by OCD, I am really unhappy with the finish of the PJ1 VHT paint job that it currently has. The engine was pretty badly battered when I got it and wanted to tart it up (black) but the paint just hasn't gone the way I wanted it to....more likely to be me at the other end of it, rather than the paint though!!

I have spoken to my trusted and talented powder coater and as long as the engine is stripped to the bones (casings, barrels, etc), then he can powder coat it to the finish that I am after.

What sort of hardship and time scale do you think a total strip down and rebuild would take??

Cheers.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?

Yoozy
Site Sponsor

Re: Engine refurb

Post by Yoozy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:35 pm

You need to make sure its a1 100% clean before everything is powder coated mate or your ocd might hit you hard. Spec of sand, lil marks etc will all be exaggerated.
A GUT FULL OF ALE AND A HEAD FULL OF MAGIC

www.tuonoworld.com

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Re: Engine refurb

Post by billy budge » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:56 pm

The coaters that I use will do all of the necessary prep work like blasting etc. before doing the powder coat itself.

The work done so far by them like my frame, swing arm, forks, have all come back so smooth and mirror like in finish, its hard to believe...so I don't doubt for a second, that my engine will be any different. They have also assured me that it will be rigorously cleaned after coating, to ensure that the insides are spotless, prior to me re-assembling the engine.

Cheers.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?