What to do if putting bike into storage

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

danno
TRX-Enthusiast

What to do if putting bike into storage

Post by danno » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi,
Please could you advise on what the best thing to do if putting a TRX into storage? Any useful tips would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

handsomejackuk
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: What to do if putting bike into storage

Post by handsomejackuk » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:26 am

look at my posts... mine is in storage most of the time...its the only way to assure that no one will cut it up and cafe race it...!!!!

serious just take off the battery, give it a good waxing and leave the polish on... some say drain the fuel out i dont bother.. pop it in to a vacuum bag, and every few months take it out and start it... take it for a run around the farm.... oil it all up give it a good spray of wd40 and put it back away,

and hopefully no one will find out where its kept, and cut it up and cafe race it... that way you will get a nice trx in few years time....because all the rest will be cafe racers...

mooooo ha ha ha....

danno
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by danno » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for the advice. Now then café racer you say....hmmm now that's a thought. :-k

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:38 am

Depends how long the storage is going to be for.

Ideally its best to leave it pretty much as is and start it every fortnight if possible and give it a run round if you can. Maybe just connect up a trickle charger if you have power.

If youre going for long-term hands-off storage I would:
  • Drain fuel as it goes gummy if left for a long time. That's drain from tank and carbs.
    Spray everything metal with WD40. even the discs but remember to clean before use.
    Overinflate the tyres to avoid flat spots or ideally use paddock stands.
    Disconnect the battery.
    Some people take the plugs out and put a teaspoon of engine oil in each cylinder if storing for a very long time.
    DONT cover it with any sort of rain proof cover or plastic cover as it cant breathe and will make condensation and rust. It needs some air round it.
but most importantly, make sure you have a DAMN GOOD REASON for storing it and not using/abusing it on the roads like its meant for! :D

handsomejackuk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by handsomejackuk » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:37 pm

trixynut wrote:Depends how long the storage is going to be for.

Ideally its best to leave it pretty much as is and start it every fortnight if possible and give it a run round if you can. Maybe just connect up a trickle charger if you have power.

• Drain fuel as it goes gummy if left for a long time. That's drain from tank and carbs.
    Spray everything metal with WD40. even the discs but remember to clean before use.
    Disconnect the battery.
    Some people take the plugs out and put a teaspoon of engine oil in each cylinder if storing for a very long time.
    DONT cover it with any sort of rain proof cover or plastic cover as it cant breathe and will make condensation and rust. It needs some air round it.
but most importantly, make sure you have a DAMN GOOD REASON for storing it and not using/abusing it on the roads like its meant for! :D

grrrrr I hate you Trixynut..... you spoil all the fun... :P :P

only joking..

danno
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by danno » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:35 pm

trixynut wrote:Depends how long the storage is going to be for.

Disconnect the battery.
Perfect. thank you. No excuses i'm afraid, just a bit impractical and insecure with the area I live at the moment. Hence keeping them tucked away until I move to a nicer place.