UK MOT Info

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Jak
Site Administrator

UK MOT Info

Post by Jak » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:33 pm

Picked these links up from another forum ...

EDIT : one of the links leads nowhere and this one is now updated. Jak

MOT manual
Last edited by Jak on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:05 pm

sorry wrong post

Sp!ke
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Sp!ke » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:38 pm

its wrong anyway. You no longer need a BSAU stamped exhaust.

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:48 pm

:lol: However one that states " not for road use "stamped in the back is still not legal and wont pass. Neither will one thats too loud.

Dave E

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:13 pm

And a BS stamped or E marked can is no longer a guaranteed pass if the tester believes that it is too loud

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm

slow codger wrote::lol: However one that states " not for road use "stamped in the back is still not legal and wont pass. Neither will one thats too loud.

Dave E
Well, it might..... :wink:

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by [JP] » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:51 pm

phuk72 wrote:And a BS stamped or E marked can is no longer a guaranteed pass if the tester believes that it is too loud
Is it? because my TRX went for the MOT with the Harris cans, and they are loud, and 2 stickers out of ebay..and it passed.

on the other hand, I took my thundercat for the MOT with a race can with no markings and no stamp out of ebay...and it failed because it´s too noisy (and it´s nothing compared to the TRX). had to go back with the standard can
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:22 pm

I guess it depends on the guy doing the MOT - my unbaffled Scorpions are stupidly loud and the 'not for road use' is not completely scratched off - nevertheless I don't have to bother changing cans for the day. My plate's small too (although not tiny) and that'll stay on too 8)

Keep meaning to get some stickers for the cans actually - [JP] was it an ebay shop or a normal seller?
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by [JP] » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:11 pm

Don´t know mate...

but I´ve seen quite a few on ebay, you can get them just as a normal sticker or as a metal plate
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:39 pm

This place appear to do rivet bands with the BS AU 193a stamped on. That might be an option if you really must have some illegitimate labelling.

http://www.tailpipes.uk.com/tailstore/

The EU marking on the can on my Tuono is just painted on. Utterly pointless if you ask me, considering that the baffle was only held in with a pop rivet and that nearly parted company after a very short while given the vibration forces its put under.

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by [JP] » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:42 pm

ho! I forgot to add, a mate who is a coper said to me that puting the stickers on, while it won´t make any difference for the MOT tester..... you can be done by fraud by the police if they really want...

but they´ll probably give you a slap on the wrists....
I´ve never had any problems
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:55 pm

The law is really a bit of a mess. As I understand it, the British Standard specified all sorts of construction rules. That meant that it wasn't possible to produce a legal exhaust that was straight through, even if it did comply with noise regulation. They also had to be tamper-proof. So you couldn't easily modify them (so no screw in baffles etc). Anything that wasn't road legal also had to be marked as such. (I guess to stop us all putting them on our road bikes). Tampering with the exhaust was technically illegal also (and probably still is).

I understand that the EU standard is actually a lot more relaxed, as we know most EU compliant exhausts have an easily removable baffle. I guess we can thank Brussels for something then.

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:03 pm

Well the baffles on the Scorpions were so simple to remove that I managed it myself :lol:

[JP] wrote:you can be done by fraud by the police if they really want...
hmmm hadn't really thought about that - will just leave it as it is and rely on my usual get-out clause :twisted:

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:02 am

my usual get-out clause
Ohh, let me guess... a Blonde Moment! 8) :lol:

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:02 am

[JP] wrote:ho! I forgot to add, a mate who is a coper said to me that puting the stickers on, while it won´t make any difference for the MOT tester..... you can be done by fraud by the police if they really want...

but they´ll probably give you a slap on the wrists....
I´ve never had any problems
"Perverting the course of justice" is what they will charge you with.

I've never understood why anybody would put those stickers on :roll:
Jak wrote:My plate's small too (although not tiny) and that'll stay on too
Not part of the MOT test either but still illegal (much like you don't need a speedo fopr the MOT but cannot use the bike on the road without one :? )