vin no plate

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

eddie
TRX-Enthusiast

vin no plate

Post by eddie » Mon May 05, 2014 6:43 am

I will be sending my frame for powder coating eventually
So what do I do bout the vin no plate .surely blasting will wreck it and removal is a no no
God is my judge

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Re: vin no plate

Post by alextrx850 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:17 am

Sure you can remove it to paint..
We in the auto repair business do it when we have to replace the panel or sub frame because of damage,it's the stamped vin numbers that we can't replicate.
The vin on the Rex only has 1-8th pop rivets anyhow, just drill or carefully chisel them off, then a couple of new rivets later and you are done.
There aren't any other numbers on the frame to say what other frame it came off anyhow.
Understand you are just being carefull. =D>

eddie
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by eddie » Mon May 05, 2014 9:14 am

Cheers Alex
Thanks for clearing that for me
Didn't want to remove it
Only to discover the frame was then illegal
God is my judge

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:47 am

Welcome.
And what is also interesting, the stamped numbers seen on firewall panels and especially on strut towers that HAVE to be replaced due to accident damage still cannot be re-stamped by ANYONE,...the car is then taken to a police station or a registry ..with the damaged part under the arm , and given a proof of VIN certificate.
So as long as the direction of intent can be proven positive..

torino68
Site Sponsor

Post by torino68 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi, further to Alex's comments it is necessary to know what the legislation relating to motor vehicle identification is within your own particular jurisdiction. Basing any advice on anything other than that could leave the receiver of the advice in an awkward position should they unwittingly deal with the vehicle's identification in breach of local law/s. In Queensland Australia the relevant legislation states, in part, that a person may not 'alter, deface or remove' an identification number on a vehicle (which includes a VIN plate) without a reasonable excuse. In the stated instance, the 'reasonableness' of the act of removing the plate could easily be shown or proved in court if necessary to be for the legitimate purpose of repainting the frame, also backed up by paint and repair receipts, etc. Previous experience has shown that repainting of the frame, especially powder-coating, is likely to reduce the visibility of the stamped frame number or in some cases cover it completely, so it would be prudent to cover that prior to painting. Again, one should check their local laws, as the clause about 'reasonable excuse' or similar may not exist, and it may just automatically be an offence to remove an I.D. plate. Good luck with your project!!

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon May 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Would a quick call to your motor rego mob in the land of MOT would clarify the law ??..
laughter is the best medicine

Rich
Site Sponsor

Post by Rich » Mon May 05, 2014 6:50 pm

drill the plate off, have the frame coated or painted and then re-rivet the plate. VIN numbers are also stamped on the steering head RHS.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:13 am

Rich wrote:drill the plate off, have the frame coated or painted and then re-rivet the plate. VIN numbers are also stamped on the steering head RHS.
is the right answer and present no UK MOT issues :)