Bendigo/Healesville

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Bendigo/Healesville

Post by davamb » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:52 am

This ride sorta begins on Thursday when I discover a broken roller in the transfer case of the Norton whilst trying to track down a charging issue. Nearest chain I can grab over the weekend is from Road and Race in Bendigo, which is a 3 Hour run each way from Corinella: 547ks there and back

Express run up there through town and the Calder. Never again. What a shit run, 80kph all the way to Calder Park!
Somewhere along the Calder. Just had to stop to make a cuppa and break the monotony. Gisborne maybe?

Arrived in Bendigo around 11:30. Last 100ks or so was wet and the roads very greasy around town. Obviously been pretty dry up there for quite a while. Bought my bits and headed back along the McIvor Hwy.
Stopped for a cuppa out of Axedale. To warm up a bit and stretch the legs. Bit grey and miserable.

Bailed at Tooborac for the Lancefield-Tooborac Rd back - much better. The bike really loves this road and just sings along. I love this country - Winter or Summer. I've sketched some of the tors before, I'll come back and get some decent shots, my pencils are calling and I must obey!

Romsey to Wallan still smoking. A lot of lucky people, so much burnt-out land, but didn't see a single house destroyed. A lot of gawkers at 20kph when you come around a blind corner. Stupid++.

Final stop in Kangaroo Ground for a splash and a stretch before Ringwood, the tollway and the Sth Gippy goat track home:

Up at a ridiculous hour this morning to meet with Rocket60 for our Sunday morning TRX meet-up. A reasonably-paced run through variable conditions pretty-well due North to catch up with MV at Healesville for a cuppa. New roads for me and the naughty GPS took us on a dirt road that shook most of my fillings loose, but ya get that. You can always find a machine to blame if you're a man (if you're a woman then you can always find a man...)
The All Moto Cafe is really quite ok, did a good cuppa and a decent breakky. Watch those 59ers though - they have a secret handshake!

Should have been 5 all up, but two declined to join us 'cos it was a bit wet. Wimps. "Work and family", yeah sure. Must try harder you two!

On to Yea for a gas-up and then Kinglake for lunch. Didn't recognise Kinglake. Hadn't been there since the last fires. Good pub grub though.

Got pulled over by a bike cop on the Myers Creek Rd (I think it was) doing spot checks. He was ok I guess, but wasn't too pleased when I asked him why he was recording our details if we'd done nothing wrong. The answer was "because I can". Hmm. Great. He did go on to add "several riders had come to grief recently on these roads" and advised us to look out for gravel on the corners. One of us wasn't carrying an awful lot of rear-tyre tread and was lucky to get off!

The rest of it reasonably uneventful. Waved MV off out of Healesville and then a lot of backroads with Rocket well off into the distance. Perhaps a bit too tired for it today, well that'll have to do for my excuse anyway! Bit over one thousand kays all up for the weekend. Not too shabby huh.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Kevtrx849

Re: Bendigo/Healesville

Post by Kevtrx849 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Nice write up and pics Dave.Would love to see some pencil sketches of your favourite haunts.
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Kevtrx849 wrote:Would love to see some pencil sketches of your favourite haunts.
Yep, my thoughts too :)

:proctor:
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:54 pm

davamb wrote:
Bailed at Tooborac for the Lancefield-Tooborac Rd back - much better. The bike really loves this road and just sings along. I love this country - Winter or Summer. I've sketched some of the tors before, I'll come back and get some decent shots, my pencils are calling and I must obey!

That's a great pic Dave, so much going on!

Great ride, too bad it was raining - I go very slow when it rains as these two found out :D

Yes, got pretty lucky on the tyre thing, a good excuse to chuck some Pilot Road 3's on anyway seeing as the TRX won't be doing any more trackdays.

I used to have a set of those somewhere... #-o

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:05 am

The rear tyre looks like you've had the best from it..some burn outs maybe.. :lol:
Great photos there and what is the tower in the fifth photo then?
Can't remember when I've done that many Kay's in one day,...looks like your set up for it.
The rain would have to be a good thing since the fires down there..especially for the fire fighters, should give all a breather...guessing charcoal sketching ?..thanks for the photos Dave.

Is the all black Rex MV ?

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:36 pm

The tower is a lookout in the Eltham War Memorial Park at Kangaroo Ground Alex, about 10ks North of Warrandyte in Melbourne's North East. It's worth stopping if you're ever in the area as you can see all the way along the Yarra valley to the city. Used to be the end of a great fang through the Christmas Hills to Yarra Glen, but too many heroes have come a gutsa on their bikes so now the road is heavily policed and the speed limit set at a ridiculous 80kph.

Yep, not a bad pic, must go back with the D50 and grab a couple of decent shots. I bought the damned thing for just that sort of stuff, but too scared of it coming to grief if I take it on the bike! Here's a couple more shots from the same bridge though - taken with my old box brownie:

and

The area's all ancient granite and worth a look if you like that kind of thing. Here's my sketches of a couple of the tors. I won't show you the pics they're taken from - it might make my efforts look a little better!

and

Still don't get the cop taking our details. Feel like I've been bullied by the head prefect, my details taken down for future reference. Don't know what it's supposed to achieve. As far as I know there's no crime in riding through the country, to whose benefit will it be to get my details?

If you want those P3s MV, you're welcome to buy them back, the one's I've got on don't seem to be wearing out too fast!
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Kevtrx849

Post by Kevtrx849 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Very nice Dave, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of planning a trip down that way next year to take in Kelly country and the gold fields. Nice part of the world when it's not being ravaged by fire.
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:04 am

davamb wrote: If you want those P3s MV, you're welcome to buy them back, the one's I've got on don't seem to be wearing out too fast!
All good Dave, I've just ordered some PR4's from then local guy. Was a bit shocked that the PR3's have been superceded, but these are supposedly betterer & longer lasting again. We'll see.

The cop wasn't too impressed when you asked why he was taking our details, it was all a bit "Papers please"
alextrx850 wrote:Is the all black Rex MV ?
Yes, that's mine :D

marcimark
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marcimark » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:51 pm

davamb wrote: Watch those 59ers though - they have a secret handshake!

Should have been 5 all up, but two declined to join us 'cos it was a bit wet. Wimps. "Work and family", yeah sure. Must try harder you two!
Great write up.

The 59ers have indeed a very special handshake ;) Why do you think I recommended the All Moto Cafe

It's fine calling me a wimp.
I can't stand riding in the rain, but it was actually fine down where I live.
Somewhat glad that I had daughter driving duty ;)