Tyre warmer advice

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Tyre warmer advice

Post by misterdimwiddy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:11 am

Can anyone give feedback (good or bad) on use of tyre warmers for track days?

Have never used them myself but am going down that road so I can get more early fast laps in for each session.

I know Silver manages to hold back a bit while things come up to temperature but I struggle to do this and have maybe been lucky so far.

Surely must reduce the chance of an off but I hear that some caution is still needed even if you do use them.

80degC seems to be the setting for non adjustable warmers. Sounds hot to me and I feel it would take quite a few laps to heat tyres to this temp from cold?

Also, I assume that you use them with wets as well (stupid question??)?

Any recommendations on good brands would help; there are a lot out there.

Any used ones up for sale would be of interest!

Thanks

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Tyre warmer advice

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:16 am

There are a number of benifits from using tyre walmers.
By keeping the tyres at a constant walm temp you are reducing the number of heat cycles the tyres go through and also prevent cold tear on the tyres if you go to hard to fast from the start till you bring them up to temp. heat shock and tyre temps/pressures are adressed on this link too
All these things add up to give you longevity to your investment..

http://www.bikehps.com/chr/tyre_warmers_tech.html

Be warned and do a little research on cheap tyre walmers and the problems and damage that go allong with them..
Remember also most production tyres used for the road have a working temp around 65* and are constructed different than track tyres
laughter is the best medicine

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Cobba

Have heard of cold tearing but not sure what it looks like.

My rear tyre always has a band of tearing on partial lean but I have never been certain whether this is down to my suspension set up? Handling is brilliant but I have not got much idea with setup.

I am generally faster in right handers (have spent half my youth going around round abouts too fast) and only see the start of this tearing on the left.

What do you reckon?

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:15 am

Here we go, have a look at this link as it explains all the tyre wear issues with photos so you can see how each influence(temp,pressure,suspension and construction) works on the tyres and wear associated.

http://biketrackdayshub.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide

keep this bookmarked or print it off so on your next trackday you can make your own adjustments.
It's a bit like looking in the oven while in an oven and reading the cake as it rises,colouring,expansion or sagging. Sure your oven may say 180*c but but how good is the calibration?? and same with tyres even though I may run 29 front/26rear as a starting point this changes on the daily temp.

Check out the other assoc. links from the one above for some handy everyday tips.
http://biketrackdayshub.com/motorcycle-riding-tips
laughter is the best medicine

AndyAshworth
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by AndyAshworth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:06 pm

I've been thinking about warmers for quite a while and have decided not to bother.

My thoughts are that it is highly beneficial to have a relatively steady lap at the start of the session as this not only warms the tyres but the suspension, brakes, engine, running gear and last but by no means least, the rider. It also allows you to see any changes in track conditions at a safer pace.

I think this is where modern road/track tyres really come in to their own. I fitted a pair of Sportsmarts to the TRX this year and they are stunning - barely needing a single lap to be working brilliantly. At Cadwell earlier this month, I didn't feel one single twitch regardless of being hot or cold. Add to this the fact that it is much less hassle to not have the warmers and a genny constantly in tow, it's getting to be a no brainer really. You don't even need to worry about heat cycles.

If I had a spare couple of hundred quid for decent warmers, I'd happily pass them by and just spend the money on another pair of Sportsmarts.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:58 pm

AndyAshworth wrote:I've been thinking about warmers for quite a while and have decided not to bother.

My thoughts are that it is highly beneficial to have a relatively steady lap at the start of the session as this not only warms the tyres but the suspension, brakes, engine, running gear and last but by no means least, the rider. It also allows you to see any changes in track conditions at a safer pace.

I think this is where modern road/track tyres really come in to their own. I fitted a pair of Sportsmarts to the TRX this year and they are stunning - barely needing a single lap to be working brilliantly. At Cadwell earlier this month, I didn't feel one single twitch regardless of being hot or cold. Add to this the fact that it is much less hassle to not have the warmers and a genny constantly in tow, it's getting to be a no brainer really. You don't even need to worry about heat cycles.

If I had a spare couple of hundred quid for decent warmers, I'd happily pass them by and just spend the money on another pair of Sportsmarts.
Six weeks too late, but I'll stick another vote here for 'no tyre warmers and Sportsmarts'. They're awesome tyres, I had them on my 400 track bike this year and did a race at Aintree on them. They warm up really quickly and they're even ok while you're scrubbing them in. I shall be putting some on my 600 for next year :D

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 pm

One problem with tyre warmers is you need to hold back before the session starts so that by the time you arrive at the holding area you want to go straight out. I tend to be one of the first out. I noticed at bedford which is 2.8 mile lap, i was coming round at the end of lap one and people were still coming out. Pretty much negates the benefits of warmers, plus i get more tracktime. Dont think i will bother myself.
Dave
PS i won a set of supercorsa's on Ebay last night, £62 inc post. Thats next years tyres sorted.
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

Dan 850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Dan 850 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:18 am

Don't use warmers on wets you will cook them, wet tyres are made to run at very low temps regarding race tyres. You picture is showing a pressure issue.(supercorsas and racetecs are really sensitive to pressure) Benifits of tyre warmer, less heat cycle, better grip from the off, and starting from cold chews rubber off so tyres last longer. If your running road tyres not too much benefit, if you plan on running supercorsas, racetecs or other forms of race tyres, especially slicks. You need them really. You still have to do a warm up lap so to speak to get the inner tyre and rim hot.

I was the lad opposite you on the gsxr Dave at cadwell on 28 th :)
Double the fun if your riding twins! Shame her sister doesn't think so.

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:24 am

Dan, i realized it was you when it showed lincoln as your location.
I have used supercorsa's before on my old trx, and this year racetec's. I havent experienced cold tear to the extent shown in the photo above and have no issues with not using tyre warmers.
I usually run 30 psi cold both ends.
Dont think i will be out again this year, saving it for next year now.
All the best
Dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Usually run at 28psi front and rear as advised by the tyre truck blokey.

Have not had a slide on an early lap in 2 or more years and always struggle to hold back on lap 2 so grip from the Pirellis must be quite tolerant of lower temperatures.

Have gone full circle I think and will go another season without warmers. All that fussing with paddock stands, putting em on, taking em off.

Dan 850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Dan 850 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:13 pm

30 is a good base point if you have no warmers, I'm down sometimes to 28/26psi cold, on a hot day, generally that's about 31 front hot and 30 rear hot Off the warmers a bit higher off track.

Shame you missed a cracking day today, and the grub was top notch !! And I see you have made it on the main msv site Dave, your now famous
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dan 850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Dan 850 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Try them at 26 if its a hot day, when it's a bit cooler (like now) the lowest you want to be is around 28, I have run supercorsa pro's at 26 in the summer before, might feel like your riding on jelly for first lap and see if it gets better. If it doesn't go the other way. But lower should suit more. The contact patch on the floor is too small so super heating just that part where your getting on the gas hard and tears it off. The new Dunlop ntec things can run around 22psi in the rear which seems crazy low .

Which group do you run in ?

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:28 am

Dan 850 wrote:Try them at 26 if its a hot day, when it's a bit cooler (like now) the lowest you want to be is around 28, I have run supercorsa pro's at 26 in the summer before, might feel like your riding on jelly for first lap and see if it gets better. If it doesn't go the other way. But lower should suit more. The contact patch on the floor is too small so super heating just that part where your getting on the gas hard and tears it off. The new Dunlop ntec things can run around 22psi in the rear which seems crazy low .

Which group do you run in ?

Intermediates usually but had a fantastic first outing in the fast group at Donnington in September and that's where I want to be in future. Much faster traffic and no one braking too hard/early into the turns on weird erratic lines. Lovely flowing riding and learned a lot about how fast you really can go into corners. Looking forward to more of the same next year. I'll try dropping pressures a few psi and see if that improves tyre wear.