Phillip Island on October 10/11 anyone?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Phillip Island on October 10/11 anyone?

Post by HolerTogni » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi folks!

Long time no read/write ...

Had a few heavy* months but now it seems to calm down a bit.
*(was left by my gf, lost my job, my father getting the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease - all within three weeks in November / December 2012)

Since I have now some stress-free time on my hands in October, I plan to do some track days at Phillip Island, preferably on 10/11 of October.
Oh, and visit Australia, when I'm at it, at least a little part therof.

So now, if someone would be planning some rounds at PI then, we could meet there!

And some advice for the trip (weather in October?!) and/or for some places to visit and for accomodation would also be highly appreciated.

"Being back"-greetings from Munich!

PS: Meanwhile I traded my RSV Mille for a brandnew built Racetrack-TRiXie - here the dissimilar sisters:
UngleicheSchwestern_1_klein.jpg
UngleicheSchwestern_2_klein.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HolerTogni on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Re: Phillip Island in October 10/11 anyone?

Post by Stu99 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:16 am

Sorry to hear of your bad news mate, but a good blast of southern ocean air at The Island will help to clear your head.

PI weather is notoriously changeable. Always a concern for GP guys every October.
The GP seems to be very lucky weather wise most years.
Weather there in 0ctober can be great, but it can also change 4 or 5 times in a day.

But the good thing is that in October you rarely get a day where it is bad weather all day.

Are you hanging around for the GP?
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:35 am

HolerTogni wrote:Hi folks!

Long time no read/write ...

Had a few heavy* months but now it seems to calm down a bit.
*(was left by my gf, lost my job, my father getting the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease - all within three weeks in November / December 2012)

Since I have now some stress-free time on my hands in October, I plan to do some track days at Phillip Island, preferably on 10/11 of October.
Oh, and visit Australia, when I'm at it, at least a little part therof.

So now, if someone would be planning some rounds at PI then, we could meet there!

And some advice for the trip (weather in October?!) and/or for some places to visit and for accomodation would also be highly appreciated.

"Being back"-greetings from Munich!

PS: Meanwhile I traded my RSV Mille for a brandnew built Racetrack-TRiXie - here the dissimilar sisters:
UngleicheSchwestern_1_klein.jpg
UngleicheSchwestern_2_klein.jpg
How long are you planing on staying?
Are you bringing a bike?
Where are you going?
Are you travelling alone?
and we have big snakes....
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

ricr378
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by ricr378 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:31 am

There are probably different opinions on this matter but IMHO if you are making the effort to travel all that way then invest in a grandstand ticket at Siberia. Me and my dad went down a few years ago (he travelled form the UK) and I wish I had bought tickets in that stand. You probably get the best view of a number of different corners and its a popular place for the odd spill too. As I say this is only my opinion and I am willing to bow to anybody else's greater knowledge of the circuit.

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:04 am

Hey Holer, if you're in Sydney, give us a yell

Bob
"The fire is almost out......and there's nothing left to burn!"

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:41 am

Hi again!

@Rod.s:
Rod.s wrote:
Are you bringing a bike?
Where are you going?
Now some more details:

I plan to stay from about October 1 to about October 22 or 26 so it's gonna be rather a short trip ...
But enough time to stay for the GP weekend (18 - 20) - Stu99, do you plan to show up there? Thanks for the weather rating!
No I don't bring a bike, I intend to rent some at MADAZ Performance Centre
I'll travel alone because no one of my mates has so much time on their hands (or is this just an excuse? :-k )
No worries: I will leave your snakes where they are. 8)

@Wombat:
If I am, I'll give you a smoke signal - but I can't promise that I will be ... I have no idea yet where to go to in your beautiful country.
It was always one of my dreams to visit Australia and now that it is about to come true I don't know how, where and what ... :dontknow:

Flight booking greetings from Munich!

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:35 am

HolerTogni wrote:Hi again!

@Rod.s:
Rod.s wrote:
Are you bringing a bike?
Where are you going?
Now some more details:

I plan to stay from about October 1 to about October 22 or 26 so it's gonna be rather a short trip ...
But enough time to stay for the GP weekend (18 - 20) - Stu99, do you plan to show up there? Thanks for the weather rating!

Not looking good for me getting to the GP this year. :ripped:
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:05 pm

HolerTogni wrote:Hi again!

Now some more details:

No I don't bring a bike, I intend to rent some at MADAZ Performance Centre
I'll travel alone because no one of my mates has so much time on their hands (or is this just an excuse? :-k )
No worries: I will leave your snakes where they are. 8)

@Wombat:
If I am, I'll give you a smoke signal - but I can't promise that I will be ... I have no idea yet where to go to in your beautiful country.
It was always one of my dreams to visit Australia and now that it is about to come true I don't know how, where and what ... :dontknow:

Ok the first thing......some people call Australia "the great Fu@kall" which is a bit hash. But it tells a story, we have great distances between towns and cites and unlike Europe the small villages have very little in the way of quality food, accommodation etc.

So,
Plain on travelling a greater distance per day than you would in Europe.
We generally are a friendly bunch, but can initially be a little shy, say "giday" (good day) to the people you want to talk to and that's all it takes for us to open up.
The roads are generally good, BUT can change as you travel from one shire (berg, berger?) to another, in some cases from tar to dirt and back within a few km's.
I'm sure everyone else will add their thoughts......

As for whats to do, as you will only be here for a few week i would recommend that you ride/drive from Melbourne to Sydney via the coast, taking short tripes up into the "great dividing range" as time permits. This will give you a wonderful trip and you will see some of the best Australia has to offer. The "Outback" is some thing better left for a few months and as always better shared with a special other.......... :D

Rod

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Rod!

Thanks for the short but detailled description of your country and your contry(wo)men! :shock: :lol:

Also good to remind me of the bigger distances ... but as I just returned from a four days event from Rijeka (Kratioa) and am used to travel (drive) longer distances up to 1.000 km (about 625 mls) per day that will be fine!

Your proposal to take a trip to Sydney along the coast with short trips to the "great dividing range" sounds very good to me and brings up some ideas of how to fill my visit :D
... and I will remember the hint with the outback ... :shock: :twisted: :oops:

Very much appreciated greetings from Munich!

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Re: Phillip Island on October 10/11 anyone?

Post by Wombat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:43 am

Yeah, coast road (Princes Highway) between Sydney and Melbourne is awesome. Especially down round the border, Lakes Entrance and Bairnsdale.
We went to the inaugural Moto 500GP at PI in 1989 that way (Moto Guzzi LM Mk4, Moto Guzzi LM Mk3 and Ducati 900S2).
The Hume Highway is more direct between the 2 cities but it is approx. 1000km of sheer boredom.......

Bob
"The fire is almost out......and there's nothing left to burn!"

pbear62
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pbear62 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:40 am

Hi Holer,

I'm from the west coast of Australia so probably won't get to meet you but with my (somewhat limited) experience of
things to do on the east coast I'd suggest:

1. Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercar meeting is on Oct 10th - 13th - this would be an eye opener for you! Then driving down from
Bathurst, through Sydney & on to Melbourne for the MotoGP at the Island the following weekend.

2. Also, it's worth doing a trip along the Great Ocean Rd - it starts at Torquay in Victoria (across the bay from Phillip Island)
& goes to a place called Warrnambool (close to the South Aust border) - fantastic road with brilliant scenery. At the other
end you could turn around & do it the other way or if you were short on time you'd just head back to Melbourne on the
Princes Highway - not as exciting but still another Aussie experience for you!

Cheers, Andy (pbear62)
Once you've had black - you'll never go back!

Bigamy is when you have one wife too many - Monogamy is the same!

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:40 am

Hi!

Here a little quick update:

My stay will be from October 3rd to 25th and
my track days in PI will be on October 10th and 11th :D

I'm a bit in a hurry just now 'cause I have a pool billard tournament starting in about an hour and there are some things left which I have to secure me (power plug adapter and so on).

Travel nerves showing greetings from Munich!

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:47 am

HolerTogni wrote:Hi!

Here a little quick update:

My stay will be from October 3rd to 25th and
my track days in PI will be on October 10th and 11th :D

I'm a bit in a hurry just now 'cause I have a pool billard tournament starting in about an hour and there are some things left which I have to secure me (power plug adapter and so on).

Travel nerves showing greetings from Munich!
Are your flying in to Melbourne? I hope so as traveling from Sydney may take you longer than 6 days. Most Ozzies will do it in a day or two, but to really enjoy it that's a little tight! But then again, it's not a great holiday unless there is some adventure in it! Where are you hiring the bike from?

Rod

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:21 pm

If you can make it up our way Brisbane, Gold Coast, we can take you over some of the best roads around, and we also know where you can get a good coffee and a pie at the end of a run.

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi Rod.s!

Yes, I'm flying to Melbourne and the bike comes from MADAZ Performance Centre - but only for the race track.

For strolling around I'll rent a car :oops:

And that's the reason why I say a big THANK YOU to ekoja for the offer of showing me some great roads but I think if I see you with the TReXes and I'm only going by car, the driving would not be so much fun for me ... :?

BTW, Brisbane is quite a distance to go from Melbourne (or even from Sydney) ... cannot promise to visit you guys up there but if I'm on the way, I'll give you a shout!

More travel planning greetings from Munich!