Donnington 27th Aug Focussed Events

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Donnington 27th Aug Focussed Events

Post by misterdimwiddy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:08 pm

Thinking of Donnington for a trackday on Tues 27th August. Will be my first outing at the circuit and can't wait to experience Craner Curves.

3 groups; 105dB; £149

If anyone else fancies it let me know and I'll look out for you. I'm on a blue black and white TRX and drive a white Citroen Berlingo (looks like the Pope mobile).

I'll be booking the intermediate group.

Silver
Site Sponsor

Re: Donnington 27th Aug Focussed Events

Post by Silver » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:31 am

Phil, Did you do it?
I thought i sent you a text on sunday wishing you well, unfortunately i have some confusion with the number of phils i have on my phone, it obviously went to a very confused phil.
Must be getting old!
Dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks for the wayward txt Dave!

I did do it and had a great sunny day. Was assigned to the slow group as it was my first time at the circuit.

Did sighting laps and then luckily spotted a coolant leak lining up to go out. Thought it was the cursed head water pipe O-ring which is a pig to access but turned out to be a redundant carb heater hose that I cut short and reattached.

Headed out with a FE instructor hoping to learn some lines. Was quite intimidated by Redgate and Copse early on and lots of people were running off track throughout the day. He wanted to move me up a group as there was so much traffic he couldn't show me much and we ended up in the fast group (a first for me).

This was a revelation! You start to think you ride at a reasonable pace and then get out with the really fast boys and see that you have a way to go. Worked well though. Much clearer track, predictable lines/braking from everyone but missiles passing the old TRX close by at v high speed.

Learned loads from this and amazed how fast you can go into some turns. Was dragging my left boot on the floor holding it in the red in fourth through Schwantz curve. Brilliant. Craner curves are wildly fast as I expected and the blind approach to Copse felt OK once you realise how wide you can go on the exit.

Was exhausted and happy to go home by the end of 8 sessions. Front Pirelli is now shot to pieces but well pleased my rebuilt motor stayed in one piece again (used 600cc of oil though). Had changed to 40t rear to reduce tendency to over rev but still spent a lot of the day deep in the red. Rear exhaust hanger snapped during the last session but did not cause any drama.

Just to keep my feet on the ground I was passed round the outside leading out of Copse onto the back straight by a 4'6" 12yr old on a 125 racer!! There was no staying with him either.

Looking fwd to my next and probably final outing for 2013.

Still a bit tempted by a 675R so that I am not outgunned so badly on the straights!

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Tempted by a 675 eh? i would offer to buy your old trx but its clearly knackered now. I'll stick with my old nail and just accept the fact that i'm old and slow, and at least i will crash at a lower speed.
Doing some work on the transalp now after the speedo broke in ireland. Thought it would just be the cable but no its all buggered up in the speedo drive unit, hey ho.
All the best and glad you enjoyed donny.
Dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Old and slow? I disagree on both counts.

I was surprised how fast your stock TRX was at Bedford considering what I have spent on mine.

As for knackered :shock: . All mine needs is a new can bracket and a front Diablo and it's good as new if you are interested? Price may be an issue as I can't afford to give it away and I know you got yours for the price of a new set of FCR's. Have got another head with valves that should sort out the oil consumption.

It's a frustration when you can get more for a bike in pieces than as a complete unit which seems to be the way that a lot of special build TRX's seem to go.

I will pause for thought and then post details if it is up for grabs.

Your Ireland trip has made me think of trying the Cookstown road race next season; have a local mate who's relatives live there.

Yoozy
Site Sponsor

Post by Yoozy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:58 pm

Good work, great when you think you've improved and enjoyed it. Knackeringly satisfying :lol:
A GUT FULL OF ALE AND A HEAD FULL OF MAGIC

www.tuonoworld.com