21st June 2013 The Longest Day

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Gix
TRX-Enthusiast

21st June 2013 The Longest Day

Post by Gix » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:06 pm

21/6/2013..The Longest day of the year... A group of bike people taking on a challenge, Top Gear Stylee, but without the exotic locations or budget...All in aid of Cancer Research UK <<<<< Note I said UK.
The idea is we travel from John O Groats to Lands End within 24hrs NOT using motorways and abiding by the law(pah)The Budget for buying and building each bike for the trip is a maximum of £300 so as you can guess it should be eventful on what are basically other peoples unfinished projects or scrap.
Please show your support by sharing this and/or donating to my Just Giving page (click the link below) I know most of you wouldn't think twice about shelling out silly money for the latest anodised tax disc holder so do yourself a favour and put the money to better use... Think about it as a long term investment......... Thank you to those who have already donated or shared.. you WILL go to heaven,,,http://www.justgiving.com/Patrick-Hughes3

Patrick-Hughes3
JustTextGiving by Vodafone
I'm fundraising for Cancer Research UK. To help me support this great cause, sponsor me by texting TLDD66 £1 to 70070. Thank you!

Jak
Site Administrator

Re: 21st June 2013 The Longest Day

Post by Jak » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Good luck with it ... keep us all updated and also some vague timings so some of us can go and support you on your way :)

EDIT:
PS : I made this thread a sticky so it stays at the top when people are browsing :)
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Gix wrote:21/6/2013..The Longest day of the year... A group of bike people taking on a challenge, Top Gear Stylee, but without the exotic locations or budget...All in aid of Cancer Research UK <<<<< Note I said UK.
The idea is we travel from John O Groats to Lands End within 24hrs NOT using motorways and abiding by the law(pah)The Budget for buying and building each bike for the trip is a maximum of £300 so as you can guess it should be eventful on what are basically other peoples unfinished projects or scrap.
Please show your support by sharing this and/or donating to my Just Giving page (click the link below) I know most of you wouldn't think twice about shelling out silly money for the latest anodised tax disc holder so do yourself a favour and put the money to better use... Think about it as a long term investment......... Thank you to those who have already donated or shared.. you WILL go to heaven,,,http://www.justgiving.com/Patrick-Hughes3

Patrick-Hughes3
JustTextGiving by Vodafone
I'm fundraising for Cancer Research UK. To help me support this great cause, sponsor me by texting TLDD66 £1 to 70070. Thank you!
Excellent... great cause.

Gix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Gix » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 am

Thanks Jak..very much appreciated
Although this is being run in conjunction with Performance Bikes mag/forum it actually constitutes a significant personal investment from each rider..obviously £300 for the machine but also time off, fuel up to John O Groats, the whole ride and then back home coupled with hotel bills before and after the event.
Its starting to gather some momemntum now though and we should hopefully be able to attract some corporate sponsorship.
For anyone who wishes to enter then you can find out more at info@thelongestdaydownchallenge.co.uk (email addy) The website will be up and live shortly. There is a twitter page https://twitter.com/TLDDChallenge which will provide 'as it happens' info on the day but for all you twitter fans please feel free to get it trending or whatever it's called. Also there is a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/352176041546424/

Alternatively if you fancy a go the closing date for entries is 1st April 2013.... how apt
The list of machines currently taking part is as varied as can be, from a 50cc chinese monkey, a rake of real shonky 80's scrap to SRAD750(me) and old ZX10.. should be fun.... Unfortunately, my TRX didn't quite fit the sub 300 quid criteria #-o

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 am

Hugely impressive if you manage to complete it.

I have done a 1000km day plan to do an Iron butt (1600km/1000miles in 24hours) but what you are doing is basically an iron but without using any motorways. That is one heck of a challenge.

I would be thinking a bike with a very large fuel tank or an auxiliary tank will be a must as fuel stops will smash your average speeds.

Good luck
Paul

Gix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Gix » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Gix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Gix » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:56 pm

For those that are unaware, I sourced a GSXR750 Srad 'unfinished project' for this trip, and absolute steal at £250.
It is all there but the previous owner has started to replace a cam chain and tensioner blade but then lost interest.
I put it all back together and tonight it fired for the first time. It obviously hasn't run for a very long time but I am now looking to do all the servicing before going for MOT..To remain within budget I only have £50 left to spend, luckily the oil, filter and plugs I already had

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Good luck - shortest day for the poor bastards down under 8)
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Gix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Gix » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:18 am

Although I have quite a few 'cash' donations to add I am still someway short of my targeted £1k......... please don't make me endure this torture for nothing....
I AM GOING TO BE POSTING THIS EVERY DAY UNTIL THE RUN http://www.justgiving.com/Patrick-Hughes3
Right People, we are less than three weeks away from me enduring nigh on 24hrs of agony riding this thing from John O Groats to Lands End in under 24hrs.
This is going to be physical torture but it's all in the name of Cancer Research so please dig deep and follow the link to donate.
The bike may well look like more than £300 quids worth but the camera really does flatter it..... it's a dog, but a fast dog so I will win..sorry not win as it's not a race, I mean, get there first.
To all those who have already donated, then a big thank you, your place in heaven is booked..to those that haven't..shame on you, follow the link for immediate redemption http://www.justgiving.com/Patrick-Hughes3

Gix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Gix » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:21 am

This is the tool..mot this morning...trust me the pics really do flatter it..it really is a shitter, but a fast one :D

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:49 pm

:wav:

Good luck tomorrow ... I hope everyone arrives safely and without any mechanical issues!!!
I'd wave as you go past but I think it'll be in the early hours!!

:wav:
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Shortest day here today .
apogee at 3.04pm.
The moon is also closest on sunday night, so we will have a
brighter than usual full moon.
:)
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:58 am

And the highest tides for the year too
laughter is the best medicine

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Gix and his mates are on the road heading south =D> There's already been a few mechanical issues, including an off on spilt diesel :evil: but they'll be fine, it's all downhill 8-[ #-o

You can follow them on Twitter @TLDDChallenge and if you happen to be out on the roads anywhere between John O'Groats and Lands End and spot a dodgy looking bunch of bikes please give them moral support 8) (They have a snack stop set up at 3.30pm on the A361/A38 near Alfreton - if anyone's local to there.)

dixonj
Site Sponsor

Post by dixonj » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Great charity, hope Pat gets some sponsor ship from forum members to help him reach his target.