oops

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

bagmaker
TRX-Enthusiast

oops

Post by bagmaker » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:32 am

Went to a rally on the weekend, great spot Talbotville, near Dargo, Victoria Australia, hosted by the Monarchs MC. Poor Ol Victoria got smashed by strong winds just before leaving, trees down everywhere, flooding the whole 9 yards, On the way we all had to ride at an angle just to go straight!
Rode 5 hours on the tar, hit the dirt with 10K to go and arse up in the mud went I. Full gearsack, backpack with tent and kitchen sink.
First crash on a roadie :( Busted the brake lever and a mirror but wasnt sad about the TRX mirror much, I have seen all there is of the inside of my elbow.
Not too much blood carnage, too cold, kevlar jeans helped a bit but still got a bruised up knee with a fair piece of porterhouse hanging out.

dropped TRX.JPG
Fortunatly there was a trail-biker type in the crew and with some swearing, a cable tie and bruised fingers we grafted a lever in backwards from a CRF450 honda. The cable tie was needed to stop it swinging forward completely .Fortunate also that I didnt have to use it for real, to use the front stoppers now demands removing your right hand from the bars, grabbing the lever, (its out of reach) pulling back a bit -gently- and latching ones thumb back around the throttle for leverage/control. Limped into camp and won a hard-luck award, every cloud has a silver lining! The medical types bandaged me up nice and several liquid painkillers ensued. Kept off the leg 24 hours and came home today.

Front brakes are something you get used to being in one place and acting in a certain way! The honda mod did nothing for this, I can attest! When an unwanted volume of KMHs are acheived there is dancing on the back brake (ouch, wrong leg, that one hurts) then a swerving grab for the fronts and a jerky on-off-on again action ensues.
When the desired lack of speed is reached one had then to push the lever off again, as it was a bit sticky like a handbrake. OK for the 6 hours home today (careful with that speed, now!), didnt have any scares.
honda lever.JPG
Just goes to show you, bush engineering at its best!

Now, what is the current best mirror option?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
there are only 3 types of people in the whole world
those who can count
and those who cannot

fung
Site Sponsor

Re: oops

Post by fung » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:47 am

rally sites always seem to have an ample supply of liquid painkiller.
Shame you tend to need more painkillers of a different sort the next morning eh :)
I heard somewhere gsxr 600 or sv 600 / 1000 mirrors go on to the trx bracket by taking out the connecting bolt and a bit of shimming to connect it up again.
Cheers
Fung
:rr:
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Glad you're reasonably ok and still made it to the rally :)
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:06 am

Yer ditto Jak.. good to hear he came off rather lightly with only minor damage to himself and the bike and best part of all as you said he still got to complete the journey and has a tail to tell to tuck the grandkids into bed with :lol: :lol: (I bet by then he'll be doin 90mph in a cyclone trying to escape a hurd of elephants :lol: :lol: )
laughter is the best medicine