First ride of 2011.....

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

First ride of 2011.....

Post by Corners R Us » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 pm

....and it was bloody perishin!! Had to resort to having the heated grips on setting 3, highest they've ever been on!!

Well it was an interesting hour out on some local roads with a mate on his brand new CBR600RR. My bikes had a bit of a winter makeover as follows:

Valve clearances done (mileage 18,800), 3 shims required (one zero clearance!). Carbs balanced. Race cans repacked as they were getting a bit rude. Front forks overhauled with new seals, fresh oil (12W I think) and Ohlins springs. Swapped out borrowed from a mate R1 gold spots and 2002 braided lines for another set of 2002 gold spots acquired from the PB forum and some new braided lines to go with them. New Maxxis Supermaxx Sport tyres as the Avon Storm STs were finished after a trip to the Pyrenees last September.

First 10 miles was steady as she goes due to new tyres and scrubbing them in. No issues with them thus far and despite the cold weather they were vaguley warm to the touch when we got back. Engine feels a bit perkier than I recall - tick. Cans sound a bit deeper but still have that distinctive TRX rumble - tick! Forks are much improved, no more poggo on the brakes - TICK! They feel compliant for the first 1/3 of their travel and then get firmer for the remainder. I'm still on the same settings as I was on the stock springs and 12-year old oil (6 rings of preload and first click of compression) so might have a little play with the preload rings and adjusters to see if I can generate an even better setup.

Now I know what the bike rides like in its current state its time to throw the 2010 R6 rear shock and Kayla adaptor at the back end....and then set front and back up to work in harmony - hopefully!

I've also got some SV1000 mirrors to put on too once I've acquired some smaller allen cap bolts to go in the elongated holes.....then its ride, ride and ride some more for 2011....no more fettling!

The season has begun.

Corners