Ride to Work: Melb to Bega

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Ride to Work: Melb to Bega

Post by davamb » Fri May 22, 2009 2:03 am

I was given the opportunity to work in Kameruka last week, sorting out some software bugs in a product I'd part designed. Had to be done there as that's where the gent (Paul - a retired biker) that designed the other half of the system had a farm that he'd retired to. Asked the boss if it was ok to ride up there and back and quite surprisingly, was given the thumbs up! Whoo hoo - paid to ride!

Over the weekend I fitted some Oxford heated grips in preparation, checked oil, chain and all the usuals and packed three day's worth of clothes in my new luggage bag. I glued some high-density foam from a sleeping mat to the underside of my lamby for a bit more comfort.

Monday morning, loaded a full thermos and hit the road at 9am. Getting out of town is boring - dull freeways are unavoidable, so I planned a long first stint to Sale. It was foggy and bloody cold on this stretch, but the hot grips were just wonderful. Only a petrol stop at Sale and then on to Lakes Entrance where I planned on a stop for a cuppa. Hit Lakes around lunchtime and it was full of people doing lunch (strangely enough) so I decide to pootle through and find somewhere better to stop. Gassed up again at Nowa Nowa and there found that I'd failed to refill my teabag container last time I'd used it, but managed to buy some more at the store. Bliss, there's nothing better than a decent cuppa on the road.

Stopped again for petrol at some town, but can't remember the name. Push on and the next stop is the border where I decide to stretch my legs for a while. It's getting on now and I decide I better make tracks. Good roads ahead so I make good time. The TRX's overtaking ability never ceases to amaze, just wind on some throttle and you're past. So much easier than the little Pantah. I always think that it's wise to spend as little time on the opposite side of the road as possible, so my overtaking speeds might be, er, just a leetle on the high side.

Was planning a stop at Eden for petrol, but I see I've enough to make Merimbula so pull in there. It's well after 4pm, so I've no time to stop if I'm going to find Paul's farm in daylight. I go through town looking for the exit back to the Princes Hwy, but take the wrong one and end up on the Bega-Tathra Rd instead. Bum. Get to Bega and it's beginning to get dark. Backtrack South back down the hwy to the Candelo turnoff.

At Candelo I dig out my map - a Google printout and find it makes no sense whatsoever. I chat with a couple of locals and they're mystified too! Ignoring the map, they give me instructions and soon I'm heading in the right direction. Dribbling along on dirt roads and soon someone's flashing a light at me from one of the farmhouses. I'm there!

I spend three days working with Paul, writing software and talking about bikes the whole time - he's owned over 100 bikes in his time and only a dodgy back stops him from still riding. I don't get to leave the farm, but do get some nice walks around his 200acre lot. It's really beautiful this time of year. The wind picks up on Thursday but the sunset is none too shabby:

On Friday morning I use his internet to bid on a TRX engine that's going for a good price. I was going to grab it at the Buy It Now price of $400, but some fool's put a bid on at $350, the starting price. I decide to bid anyway, but due to the satellite delay, I'm outbid at the last second or two by $5. Pissed off - it went for $415, still a bargain.

Before packing the bike I turn the rack around so the 15kg sack is inside the wheelbase instead of hanging out past the rear wheel. The bike's not been handling well - understeering is the car expression, dunno what it is for a bike.

This really transformed the bike - back to normal, turning-in as it used to. I get underway at 10am, heading to Wolumla along some excellent back roads. Rejoin the Princes there and aim for my first stop at Eden.

I'm thinking about getting back to Melbourne at the right time, missing Friday peak and arriving about 7pm, so I'm taking it a bit easier. Couple of bikes heading North on the run to the border and thanks to the chap on the K100 who gives me a speed warning a couple of ks before the camera parked on the side of the road. Hope he wasn't there on my way North!

After Lakes Entrance, the wind really starts to pick up, becoming gusty and rather tiring. I've got plenty of time, so stop more often for a cuppa and or rest than I normally would. Still, you can't avoid the school run traffic and Bairnsdale's very busy when I pull in for a (very) late lunch. It starts to get wet and nasty after there and I hit Morwell around 5:30 - just in time for the evening traffic. From there on the conditions get worse and the drivers turn from a reasonably relaxed country style to pain-in-the-arse city style - and I'm in Moe! I stop several times, waiting for the conditions to improve, but there's little change - weather or driving style!

The final run in is dead boring and then there's the interminable crawl from Narre Warren along the never-to-be-completed road works. It's a joy to get on to the Tollway and back to 100kph for the last bit. Some tool in a F100 tries to murder me as he enters from a side ramp and decides to go straight to the center lane without looking and I know I'm back in Melbourne.

All in all a damn good ride, despite the last few hours. The bike never missed a beat, returning excellent economy though it burned a fair bit of oil (about 750ml). $110 spent on the luggage bag and about the same price for the hot grips. Money well spent.

Ride to work eh. Again please.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Re: Ride to Work: Melb to Bega

Post by BigAl-TC » Fri May 22, 2009 9:30 am

Good story :D very nice part of the country =P~
Cheers,
Alan.

G Beale
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by G Beale » Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 am

If you had put your bike in the foreground on the sunset picture it might have won TRX of the month for the next 6 ! 8)
Wish I commuted to work, would give me a another opportunity to ride the bike. :( Oh well I'll just have to be happy with working 4 hours a days & having whole afternoons to myself instead. :D
How many miles/kilometres did you cover in total ? Riding my TRX to Germany in August (500 miles) but a bit concerned about my comfort. Where did you glue the high density foam exactly ? "the underside of my lamby". Ass ? :?
Life's short & it's hard.... . like a body building elf.

rocket60
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by rocket60 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Good ride Dave,if you ever go that way again turn left at Cann River and head to Bega through Bombala there is some brilliant roads that way.I see you have got yourself a rack so does that mean you won't be needing one made any more.I've booked my bike in at mad biker in Boronia for the engine to be overhauled so I'll let you know what it all costs and what he finds is wrong with it.My oil use is not as bad as yours but I'll bet that its the same probems causing it.
Vegetarian; ancient tribal slang for village idiot who can't hunt , fish or ride

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Post by BigAl-TC » Sat May 23, 2009 6:11 am

G Beale wrote: "the underside of my lamby". Ass ? :?
Translation
Lamby ::: Lambskin seatcover :roll: :D
Cheers,
Alan.

schmiffee
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by schmiffee » Sun May 24, 2009 12:09 am

Very nice story Dave....very jealous!! Just gotta either hope for more clients like that, or build some small bugs into the system to accommodate repair visits :wink: Glad to see/hear that the rack is doing well...I used to use it similarly facing inwards with a milk crate jocky-strapped to it holding my saxophone and music stuff.

Great to see you out and about loving your TRX,

Schmiffee
Understeer - when you hit the fence with the front of the bike.
Oversteer - when you hit the fence with the rear of the bike.
Horsepower - how fast you hit the fence.
Torque - how far you take the fence with you.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun May 24, 2009 9:50 am

Cheers guys,

yep great ride. I use the trip meter for fuel and had written my starting odometer reading on the kitchen whiteboard, but Ms Davamb rubbed it off while I was away! Google estimate is around 1200Ks, add around another 50Ks for faffing around when I took the wrong road out of Merimbula. And you're right GB, the sunset would have made a great shot with TRX in foreground.

Thanks to Big Al for the translation. GB I used some contact adhesive to bond the camping-roll foam to the lamby and it made it a lot more comfortable. Also think standing up on the pegs through the towns helps a lot - it's too late when your backside is giving you pain.

I was keen on the Bombala Rd Rocket, but I was worried about running out of daylight hours, so opted for the roads that I knew (uuurgh - well, thought I did). Look forward to hearing the cost of the damage from Mad Biker on sorting your TRX. We must catch up sometime.

Since getting back I've bought a throttle lock / cruise control thingy, but have yet to fit it. Really need the opportunity to give the right hand some relief on those long runs. Not sure it's going to fit now the Oxfords have been Supa Glued on though. Let ya know how it goes.

Been really thinking about the ride since I got back. There's something so good for the soul about spending so much time on the road on a good bike, something that I rarely got on the Pantah - probably because it was so desperately uncomfortable on long rides (but great for a fang on). I keep hearing the road calling me ...
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun May 24, 2009 10:05 am

I agree Davamb.
Last year I went from Edinburgh To St Austell in Cornwall,from St Austell to Exeter in Devon and Back to St Austell(was staying with friends and had taken in a gig in Exeter).
Then left St Austell and hugged the south coast all the way to Pulborough in West Sussex to catch up with a very good pal whose 25th wedding anniversary party was that night,then the next day off to Bexhill-on-Sea to visit another very good pal,overnight stay then up to my Folks in Horsham West Sussex.
From there it was off to Chessington in Surrey,Then Acton in London,Hatfield in Hertfordshire,Scarborough in Yorkshire and eventually back to Edinburgh.
2,100 odd miles over a week.
It`s just gotta be done eh? :wink:
Last edited by Mincehead on Sun May 24, 2009 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Sun May 24, 2009 11:39 am

You should've waved on your way past!!!
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun May 24, 2009 11:58 am

Were your windows some of those lucky enough not to be shattered from the sound waves out of a 686cc single with a race can on full chat then Jak? :wink: :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Sun May 24, 2009 12:07 pm

:lol: they're reinforced so they survive my baffleless Scorpions :twisted:
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs