Last day of 2019

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Last day of 2019

Post by jpe70 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:50 pm

Wrote a short report on that blue place, and in Swedish. Not much use here, so thought I could put up the short version to keep some life in the forum... :roll:

Images on the TRX from photographer (link to open Facebook album): https://www.facebook.com/groups/meltroc ... 199140131/

Link to original track day report in Swedish in case you want to trust translation software rather than me... 8)
http://www.r2d2.se/2019/08/01/bandagsra ... asen-2019/

This was a day I'd been looking forward to, it's a day arranged by a club I've previously been a member of and I've been coming back off and on for the last 10 or so years. It's usually laid back and fun, no difference this year. This year I hitched a ride with a friend to the track, he's riding one of two Aprilia Tuono 1127 in the world. Awesome bike putting out as much power and more grunt than a V4 1000. Anyways, driving with trailer to the track works but not something I prefer after 5 years with a van. We slept in the bike's tent and was up well in time to riders meeting. Being a "frequent flyer" there's really not much for me but to attend riders briefing for the appearence of it.

The track is known for it's unstable weather, but this time we got it right. Morning started with fog but cleared quickly and my group added up to a whole 7 riders. That's the race group, with bike's not road legal. In total there was less than 40 riders split in 3 groups on a track that allows for 42 on a race grid. Not very crowded then... 8)
First session, as usual. Feels like I'm on a field plowing with a farm tool. It's bumpy. Mildly put. Second session I start to get into it, picking up speed always makes this track easier and with a bit better attack I actually reach my first goal of the day. Laptime is irrelevant here, but on second session I'm 4 second faster than last time I was on the track with this bike. 12 years ago.

Not much happens time-wise after that, I get more consistent and spend a session dragging an old, newly rebuild GSXR1000 around. He had as much fun as in had. Bike oversteers without being unstable, so getting on the throttle fast after braking is essential, did a few visits on the inside of the curbs. Grass is not optimal for traction, just a tip. Took a spin with my pal on the gixxer too, he's done more than 20 trackdays this year compared to my 5. Still not faster than me but getting really quick in the wet.
Movie: https://youtu.be/d_7dP9h2BHk

My second goal then? Fast with a road bike in a track day group is somewhere around 1.15, first goal was 1.14 and that was not hard. Second was 1.13 and did not quite reach that, on the other hand I've only done 1.11 with my R1 so 3 seconds slower is not too shabby. Top of SBK does 1.06. Last session was as much fun as second, chased down this rookie 600 class rider on his new gen R6. He was on his limit even before I caught up with him, and I spent a few laps watching the poor guy riding on the edge with potential crashes happening every other lap. No race but track day so initially I didn't want to push a passing, but finally I realized I had to outbrake him and ride away or he would crash being chased by a TRX from -97...

Nice day, bike behaved. My Pirelli Superbike tires worked very well and inspired for more, looking forward getting back with new suspension and new carbs. 13 should be no problem then... :lol:

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Last day of 2019

Post by Tarwetijger » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Looks like a nice, small track, that suits the TRX well.
In the slowest corners your revs seem quite low?

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:31 pm

Tarwetijger wrote:Looks like a nice, small track, that suits the TRX well.
In the slowest corners your revs seem quite low?
When filming the GSXR? I'm just rolling along to stay behind, we are 5 seconds slower than my usual laptime.

But I am already down on 2:nd in the slow corners so can't go much lower if I want to keep the speed. Others I've tried gearing down from 3:rd to 2:nd but don't seem to benefit from changing down another gear. Can't decide which is faster. Seems like I loose time on the gearshifts and extra engine brake what I possibly gain in better drive. Remember the rev range on the TRX is short, and I mostly stay between 6000-9000 rpm, rarely lower and obviously not much higher. 8)

Current gearing is far from optimal... :roll:

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:49 am

great when one leaves the track and everyone had enjoyed it.
Yes lets keep the forum going..... :occasion5:

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Last track day of 2020?

Post by jpe70 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:48 am

So, one year later back on the same track day. Now with shitty weather but thought I'd just compare since I've done the mods I wrote about last time.
  • Changed gearing: From 17/41 to 17/44 with 180-rear tire. Need to gear up sooner out of slow corners but have much better pull as I'm in a better rev range.
  • Rebuilt stock rear damper. A big surprise, can't fault it for this speed and setup. Why get a new expensive piece, it's better than the R6 forks. Bike is stable over the uneven track this time and only gives me a slight pause when entering one or to turns where the front rattles. Likely because fork is close to bottoming and the R10 are stiffer than the SuperCorsa's.
  • Carbs: Bike never feels tired, it pulls without hesitation whenever I want it to. A big difference compared to stock which are sluggish in comparison, specially in midrange. Not the fastest or wildest bike out there but now it goes through all gears without slowing.
  • Bridgestone R10: Not sure about this. Doesn't oversteer as much as the Pirelli's but front is also less confident. Feels like it want to stutter under pressure entering turn and wear in the front looks like I don't put enough load on it. Smoooth.... Couldn't use it in the way I did the Pirelli's, but bike still keep the line nicely.
No improvement of lap times, only done riding worth about 1,5 track days this year so completely out of shape.