So I rode mine to Germany back in September..

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

So I rode mine to Germany back in September..

Post by Snod Blatter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 pm

This place is far too much about racing (you know it's a standard TDM850 motor, right guys??) so I thought I'd just ride mine on the road a bit instead. Being a '95 model with 38K miles up it required a bit of spanner work beforehand.. First, remove the old head.
Get a later head, spray it black.
Bosh it on, job's a good 'un. Have you seen the price of new inlet valves?? :loco: Anyway.. TRX in full touring mode, waiting to get on the train:
TRX back in race mode (except the 'Nav I suppose) ready for glorious sweepers:
Photo opportunity at the Nurburgring, already done it twice (bit of a yawnfest the second time if I'm honest) but not got a picture in front of the iconic sign until now! And yes, I'm killing it old skool in 90s leathers.
One bike parked up at the bike cafe surrounded by 8 foot wide German contraptions:
Beaufort castle (a tradition):
A slightly wet day which led us to Verdun. The suction mount for my 'Nav had been seriously impressive all week until it saw a smattering of rain, when the whole lot promptly fell off and kept falling off. A surprisingly stressful morning, but the 'Nav only hit the deck once (bugger!).
The view of the Mosel at the viewing point near Piesport. I heard something coming from miles away, it eventually turned out to be a Buell which was kind of interesting.
Time for bratwurst and chips, at least it didn't come with any bread! I couldn't take much more bread by this point..
The viewing point at Cochem. Everyone's looking at the town, but after 6 years of ownership I'm still all about that bike. Phwoar.
Soon followed by a bit more race track-level road..
It was good - no strips!
Coming back home on the Channel Tunnel, hours of delays later..

2000 miles in 6 days, 3L of oil used (absolutely drinks it on the motorway!), no mechanical hassles which put me way ahead of my mate on an NC30 which had a very slippy clutch after a couple of days.. And averaged 57MPG, all round not bad at all. These things are alright for road use y'know! Anyone else been out and about on theirs this year?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: So I rode mine to Germany back in September..

Post by nr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:03 am

Brilliant! I had a quick jaunt down through France on mine earlier in the year. Most I managed was about 900km in a day, which isn't too shabby for an old wreck. The bike held up pretty well too :) A quick jaunt over the Col de la Faucille was a whole bundle of fun as well. The TRX makes a surprisingly capable tourer, as long as you don't want to carry too much luggage. I bungeed a small sack to the pillion seat, which had enough to keep me going, no worries. I'm sure I've got some photos somewhere - I'll see if I can dig a few out. I rode down with a mate on a ludicrously quick GSX-R1100M powered Katana, and met up with another mate with a Duc 748R. As holidays go, it was a pretty good one :)

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:36 am

Hi Snod, great photos and words, We all enjoy our Trx's for different types of riding, that's the versatility and brilliance of them.

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:14 am

That would have been amazing. Holidays and sightseeing can be a bit meh, likewise trying to get a decent bit of road for a decent ride can be difficult. Looks like you have bypassed both annoyances and had a ball. I would love to do this.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:20 am

Mine in touring trim, chin spoiler and fender extender fitted to protect the engine from the crap Ozzy roads, Bagster tank protector and lambs wool for the seat! No reason not to tour on these.

If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 am

Where's the like button?

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:12 am

It’s on the Ferry so you have to waits for it I’m afraid... :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am

nr wrote:Most I managed was about 900km in a day
Cor sod that! It's a 450 mile trip back home from the Eifel region and that is more than enough for me..

Pics please :glasses7:

Oh by the way this is the fourth time I've done the week on the TRX, the closest I ever came to mechanical disaster was the first time when we stopped at some services on the way down and she seemed rather more rattly than usual.. There was no oil to be seen in the sight glass at any angle! I didn't know how thirsty she was back then, I was still new to it all. Now I pack 2L, much to the amusement of the others. It boggles my mind that the TDMs are the same, but sold as touring/adventure bikes - you couldn't go too far out of the way unless you were well stocked up!
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nr » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 am

Snod Blatter wrote: Pics please :glasses7:
Let's see if this works - not tried embedding pics directly from OneDrive here before:

If that works, you should see a musclebound Suzuki (with what looks like a pretty slack chain - need to have words about that) obscuring an elegant Yamaha somewhere South of Calais. And more importantly, if it does work, I'll upload some more later when I've got some time spare :)

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Nice one - plenty of wildlife on yer fairing! :lol:
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:00 pm

dandywarhol wrote:Nice one - plenty of wildlife on yer fairing! :lol:
As it should be!

Works fine nr :thumbright:

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:57 pm

That katana is causing strange stirrings in my trousers

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nr » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:41 am

Trx envy wrote:That katana is causing strange stirrings in my trousers
It's brutal to ride!

Here - https://solcambs.wordpress.com/ - some more details on the build, and also, some photos of the TRX from the French trip. Two birds with one stone - nice :)