no pills for stupidity......

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

no pills for stupidity......

Post by Racer-unk » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:04 am

nice track conditions in the morning, and i was just there to make sure the bike was working OK after getting rid of the vacuum fuel valves

1st practice went as planned, taking it easy and checking if new inline filter provided enough fuel, slowly picked up the pace and did a few laps.
Tyres are now really buggered (but I have the Supercorsas in the back of the pick-up).

So I decide I will do one more outing with the old tyres, taking it easy, call it a day and fit the Supercorsas for next weekends race meet.
well that was my famous last words............

Went out, warmed up the tyres and then pushed hard on the left side, easing off on the right-hand corners.
This worked well till the front slid a bit on entry to the last corner and i left the circuit and recovered on the grass.

THAT'S when that SV got past me. Back on the circuit and I was gaining on him. Bear in mind this guy had been consistently 1.5 sec a lap faster than me in the previous race.
I was styling through the left hand corners, hanging off like a pro.
OK, one more lap proved one too many and I lost front turning into the last corner before the straight....(which incidentally is the one I always struggle with that dodgy front suspension)
I can mend bike before Friday (when we have to qualify), but taking stock this morning....my little left pinky wont heal as I have a great deal of pain still and swelling is still bad....

Another lesson learned......part with the tyres when they done, else the bike parts with you.......

Damage....right hand foot-peg hanger broken off and rear brake lever a little thin.....need new exhaust hanger, front brake lever, mend worn through cover (oil everywhere) and fairing is binned
leather now look like a racer's leathers......

well i am off to play Bowls this morning.....bet you a million dollars, I am gonna get a lot of stick from the old guys.......

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Re: no pills for stupidity......

Post by coxylaad » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Nightmare!!

Glad the damage isnt too bad.
I just do track days and i am paranoid about tyre wear. If it looks worn its gone. It's one of the reasons i got rid of the blade. It just ate through rear tyres.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: no pills for stupidity......

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Good habit to get into when you have these little falls is to loosen off all the engine mounts to release any torque within the frame then retension again.

Do the same with the bottom triple tree bolts , loosen off, push down on the forks or run forward and pull on the front brake to centre and release any twist. Then don't forget to retension the bottom tree... :lol:
laughter is the best medicine