PI in 18

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

PI in 18

Post by davamb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Not a track day report - yet.

Some background: I live about 10minutes ride from Phillip Island and my neighbour's been hassling me to come along to a track day on The Island. I've managed to resist his attempts at persuading me to get trackside for a year or two, but after getting me free entrance to a corporate tent on Hoonda Corner for the GP a couple of weekends back, I feel I owe him and agreed to attend the next time he was going - early in the new year. Perhaps a strange way of repaying a debt?

So I need to decide which bike. Gotta be the TRX, but the rego is about to expire and I've been procrastinating about whether I'd renew it at all. I hadn't even ridden it for 3 or 4 months! It's not easy when you're a vehicle collector/hoarder.

Anyways, got the cover off the TRX and chucked the charger onto the battery. All good. Did an oil change - good, no petrol in the oil. 10 seconds of cranking and the old girl fired straight up. Lordy what a delicious sound. Is there anything better than a TRX on Staintunes? Tyre pressure test and adjust and what was meant to be a quick test run around the block ended up in a decent half-hour refamiliarisation over the hills out back. Why the hell don't I ride this thing more often? I'm friggin crazy.

Ok, so it's confirmed, this will be my tracky. Couple of things I need to sort:
  • Steering head is a tad loose, need to dismantle and adjust.
    Bit of a flat spot just around 4k5, but then pulls strongly after. Carb balance? This is Stu's old spare motor and it's done that from the word go.
    Power shifter. Need to get the ignition module sorted and put back in and the shift sensor wired up. The sensor is in place, but that's as far as I got a year back. (Pretty slack you might say for an electronics engineer, but when you spend all day doing your job...)
    Belly pan back on. One of the mount points disintegrated with age. I'd got this repaired a year back, but intend to paint it blue instead of its current black. Rattle-can job in a - hopefully close - approximation to the blue metalflake of the rest of the bike.
    I need some leathers. No textiles permitted and must be either zip-togethers or a onesie.
Probably a couple more things to look into, but that's enough to start. Will update with progress.

It's still months into the future, but already this track-day virgin is looking forward to the day with an interesting mix of excitement and pure terror.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: PI in 18

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:11 am

Had to send 1 ignition back to Ignitech recently Dave under warranty.
Failed within 1 week after only being used a handful of times.
Response from Ignitech when questioned was the crystal failed and very rare for this to happen.
A little feedback that may help with sourcing the problem with yours.
laughter is the best medicine

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Post by BigAl-TC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 am

Go Dave :thumbright: Having done a ride day on one of the hire 600's there, I highly recommend the experience. It puts a whole new perspective on the track.
Have a great time 8)
Cheers,
Alan.

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Trx's certainly are sweet to ride Dave, Yamaha's own latest 850 cc offering still shares wheelbase and steering rake values of the Trx. Till they invent bikes that bend in the middle or hover above the bitumen I don't see the need to upgrade.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks guys. Cobba, how did the ignition fail? Mine's still talking to me via rs232 and I've reflashed it. If its crystal had failed, then I wouldn't expect comms - assuming there's only one micro that is.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:35 am

I've not been idle with the TRX in prep for the trackday. I picked up a second rear shock sometime back so dug it out and dropped it off to Izzy at SuspensionsRUs when I was picking up my Wilbers rear for the XRx. $300 ~ $400 depending on condition for a full overhaul and should be ready this coming week.

I've also stripped back my (originally black) bellypan, after getting it repaired by the local fibreglass expert. Then gave it a rattlecan paintjob: primer, metalflake and heaps of clear coats with a rub-down between each one. Taken me 2 weeks. It's not perfect as I couldn't be arsed filling some of the big chips but the paint is a very good match, surprising for something I picked out of the DupliColor lid range in-store using just my mind's eye image of the bike. Looks so much more of-a-part with matching color scheme.

Sorry, not the best pic, but trust me - it does look like it belongs now. Maybe I should also give the R1 front mudguard a blast too; it's a near match to the standard TRX paint, but not so close that it doesn't stick out like dog's bollox.

Next up is tightening up the slop in the steering head then on to sorting the power shifter.

I also had a look at leathers, thinking perhaps these zip-togethers:
https://www.amxsuperstores.com.au/road- ... uper-sport
or these perhaps, but another $400
https://www.amxsuperstores.com.au/road- ... uit-blk-wh
Trouble is, I don't want to look like a farkin wannabe or pay to be a walking advertisement, but dunno what else there is. Answers on a postcard please ...
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:09 am

I'm a big fan of Tiger Angel, mostly because I'm a short-arse.
The first time I fronted up to a shop with the money to buy a full set of leathers (I wanted Dianese) I was told I would have to order, without trying for fit, and take what I got with no refund if it didn't fit.
Fsck that McCl#&d Imports!
I first went to see Steve when he was operating out of A' Beckett St.
He understood my problem as soon as I walked in the door and measured me up, cut the suit to fit, and I was a very happy customer.
So much so that when I eventually replaced the first suit (destroyed back in 2001 on the KTM SM) I went back to buy a new one.
Again, it was measured and cut to fit, and it fits perfectly.
It was less then $2K when I bought it a couple of years ago.
Do yourself a favour, get something that fits.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:35 am

davamb wrote:Thanks guys. Cobba, how did the ignition fail? Mine's still talking to me via rs232 and I've reflashed it. If its crystal had failed, then I wouldn't expect comms - assuming there's only one micro that is.
Yes no Comms on the ignition Dave.
Fitted new and bike fired up a couple of times and then nothing.
Manufacturing fault being a faulty crystal and as Jiří at IGNITECH made me aware something they have only experienced a couple of times since manufacturing their ignition modules.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:56 am

Well, I've given up on the Ignitech Cobba, runs fine without it, but not a sausage when installed, despite being able to talk to it via serial and being able to reflash. Any chance of a warranty return and or replacement?

I'll get a quote from TigerAngel Dicky, they've got some reasonably discrete designs, so can't hurt to see what they cost.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 am

I can come down and have a look at the ignition of you like.
I can bring one of mine with me to compare.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:50 am

Cheers Dicky, if you're keen on coming down my way on a weekend, that'd be great. Substitution testing would be instructive. Been thinking of making a high-voltage capacitive probe for the cro, but think all it's going to confirm is that there's no ht.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:52 am

Hi Dave, I went looking for a 2 piece Dainese suit a few years ago and found it all to hard or expensive with aussie retailers, I ended up buying with a Belgium company ( Bimoto ) and had a great outcome, the fit was perfect ( you tell them all your body measurements ) I am 180 cm medium build size 52 for me, any questions via email were immeadiately answered and the suit delivered to my door was $400 cheaper than aussie pricing. Of coarse try aussie dealers first but if not happy try these guys.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:42 am

davamb wrote:Well, I've given up on the Ignitech Cobba, runs fine without it, but not a sausage when installed, despite being able to talk to it via serial and being able to reflash. Any chance of a warranty return and or replacement?
PM sent Dave

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 am

I've buzzed-out the interface cable and confirm all connections are ok. I fired up the Ignitech on the desk with a lab power supply and confirmed "Inputs for neutral side and stand" was not checked, set both multifunction inputs to "Off" and programmed and verified. To check all ok, I started up the bike with the Ignitech disconnected and made sure all hunky-dory and verified the sidestand switch still inhibited the bike from starting or running when in gear. Then reinstated the Ignitech and ... nuffin.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks Dave for the info.
Next option may be to turn off the auto dwell and try the short or long dwell options to see if you at least get spark and ignition to eliminate that as the culprit.