PI in 18

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: PI in 18

Post by davamb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:49 pm

No worries, will give that a go tonight. Will also try turning ON the inputs for neutral and side stand for the hell of it.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:55 am

Didn't get any shed time tonight as I got home late. I had to dack out at lunchtime to grab my overhauled rear shock from Suspensions R Us. 'Least that's ready to rock; as good as new.
Also had an email from AMX Superstores - our local bike gear supermarket - that they were having a night sale tonight with 20% off so managed to get there before close time and grab a pair of track-legal gloves.
Had a look at the full leathers, but didn't see anything I could see myself in. Ferchrisakes, I'm 60, I'm not going to punce about in flash git gear like I'm half my friggin' age.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Post by BigAl-TC » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:46 am

Hi Dave,
What size are you ? If a 54 will do, I have a set that might suit you. I will send photos if you PM your mob number.
Cheers,
Alan.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:00 am

Doctor Dicky rocked up today and we proved the Ignitech has joined the choir invisible unfortunately. Thanks for taking the time and trouble Dicky.
So will have to replace it. Just an APB out to anyone who might have a spare they want to sell before I buy a newey off Cobba???
Thanks for the offer too Big Al, much appreciated!

In the meantime, I'll carry on with setup - got to tighten-up the headstem and fit the rebuilt rear shock.
Also whipped off the front R1 guard and am in the process of giving it a rattle-can blow-over to match bellypan and other bits.
It'll look the part even if the rider's skill levels won't do it justice!
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Any luck in determining what took it out or what component failed Dave????
laughter is the best medicine

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 am

Nah, none the wiser I'm afraid Brian,
if I can't return it, I'm thinking I'll dremel the case off and have a look inside. Reckon there's a fair chance I can determine the damaged part(s) and thence the root cause.
My money's on the output drivers as they're the most stressed component. Maybe as a result of breakdown of resistive components in the HT leads on my old banger. Only speculation at this stage.
Could also be the pick-up circuit as that's the most sensitive. Should have checked the tacho readout while cranking the bike over - that would have ruled that one out if it registered.
Could be a vibration-induced soldering joint failure or brittle fracture, there's quite a range of possibilities that would be solved by taking a squizz.
Potting is not hard-brittle: closer to silicone than araldite - so should have a decent chance at chiseling it off the components.

Will let y'all know what I find as it comes to hand. Probably take further discussion of the issue off this topic though and get back to other matters...
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Have picked up a man cold and despite feeling like I barely have two brain cells to rub together, managed to get the shock replaced and the front guard painted.
Seem to be getting the hang of this rattle can business:

Tell ya what though, it's pretty tricky replacing the shock without a centrestand. Rear race stand is of no use of course, but I did manage it in the end by taking out the pillion foot pegs, reversing them and using axle stands packed a bit higher with bricks. Not terrifically stable, but with front wheel well-chocked I deemed it acceptable to proceed.

Have yet to tackle the steering bearing slop and have also noticed a small drop of coolant under the bike - will have to track that down. Will also have to fork out for another ignitech, but will look at all the rest of the ignition wiring - particularly the HT stuff - before replacement. And probably open up the dead module to see what I can see.

Some progress, but too crook to go out and test ride though. Bummer.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Post by BigAl-TC » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:48 am

Re, coolant leak - check the thermostat housing, the cover plate warps. some guys have put a plate across said cover to press down and flatten from the centre , if you get my drift.
Cheers,
Alan.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:35 am

Thanks Al,

will investigate come the weekend. I replaced a couple of bits in the thermostat path when I fitted Stu's motor and I thought it was all good. Maybe one of the carb coolant paths? Probably redundant here in Aus anyways.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 am

After a day doing the family chrissy thing, I spent a couple of hours pottering around with the bike.
Dismantled the top triple clamp, tightened up the headstem and checked all ok at the front end
Removed the ignitech enclosure to expose the potting:

Bummer. Really professional potting job. Will look into solvents, but if it's silicone then not going to be much fun.
This is a bit of a concern though. Damaged component underneath?

Next up the coolant leak.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 pm

Coolant leak sorted last night - it was the sender at the top of the thermostat housing.

Spare connector pins for the Ignitech turned up today - thanks Brian! Will rewire tonight.

Checked the front (R1) brake pads last night too and they are close to wear limits though. Will try and track down replacements by the weekend - don't want to be turned away at scrute, even though they're still legal. Silly to have left this one till so late.

Other than that, just have to sort this and remove the mirrors and good to go. Big thanks to all who have helped out along the way.

Have also been chipping away at the potting on the busted Ignitech. The whole back slab came off in one piece from the rear of the PCB. Not so easy on the front side though. Will just have to stick at it.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 am

Managed to track down some pads, so looks like all's well.
And no surprises that PS Dandy were no help, gave up waiting on-line after 5 minutes. Team Moto in Frangers came to the rescue.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Post by BigAl-TC » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:07 pm

And don't forget, it's all lie's unless we see PITCHAS 8)
Cheers,
Alan.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:43 pm

No worries Al, though not sure on the photography thing. I think there's a pro who has exclusive rights - snaps away and then will sell you the shots. Seems you can have a GoPro mounted on the bike, but that's it. I'll take along the 60D anyways and see what happens.
Have checked out your leathers and they seem to fit ok. Guess I should get out on the bike with them on over the weekend and get used to them, rather than leaving it until Monday. Thanks again, hoping it'll all work out and if so I'll fling you some $ next week.
Picked up the new pads on the way in this morning, so should also have them bedded in before I get to the track too I guess!
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 am

I hope it all goes well for you.
Remember, you do not need to brake at the end of the main straight, just lean hard into the first turn flat out
(but you do need to dump about 100km/h to get around Southern Loop!)
dicky
OOOSDC #5