Track day on standard NX4

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Track day on standard NX4

Post by Racer-unk » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Although I am building my TRX as a fun track bike, I wanted to ride it in stock form before I did any mods.
Considering I have not ridden a road bike in a decade and never been on this track or any other than IOM, it was going to be a steep learning curve.

1st session I bedded in the brake pads and then started mixing it with the non racers. Bike had only stiffer fork springs fitted which worked well.
No bad behavior or issues as I was not pushing that hard.

2nd session....just fitted Ignitech unit and set off a little bolder...Brembos worked well.....mixing with more of the social riders. going faster and now exposing rear shock's age

3rd session...dropped forks 10mm only......not many social guys left, mostly experienced racers on older bikes.
Working the old hard touring tyres BT56 hard and trying to get some appexes right....or rightish :^o
really starting to enjoy myself, but still careful as my leather pants dont fit anymore and jeans was my only option.

4th session.....no further changes for the day....just experienced riders and myself......pesky VFR400's on my inside.
TRX is going wide all the time and I have to be patient getting on the power.....left track once when rear locked a little on entry to tight corner before the straight.
Best sounding bike on the track (as nobody showed with a M1) and made some new friends.....big smile on my face.....off to the pub

Goal for next time...... will have full leathers, new better front tyre, forks dropped more and hopefully the longer shock in the back.

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Track day on standard NX4

Post by Racer-unk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:37 am

For my second track ride, I went to official practice at our local track.

Changes....lifted rear 20mm (only dogbones I could find)
Front dropped 20mm in total.
Quick-shifter fitted.
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 70 profile fitted on front (Had 10yr old BT-56 on for previous outing)

Chalk and Cheese difference just with these changes.
Got bike to turn in much better and lower through the corners.

cranked up compressing with each outing and gaining confidence.
Track temp got quite hot and tyres were taking a beating in third session.
Lost rear just a tad on entry main straight and I decided to call it quits seeing the 7yr old Michelin Pilot Power was at it limit of performance in those conditions.

Need new rear before I venture out on circuit again. (also must Drop another 5mm in front)
Getting my carb stuff on 5th of Aug...hopefully the bike will pull better after carbs are done
Currently rich down low & midrange, but lean on top.

Closer to those pesky VFR400s, but still a fair way to go (still learning the track...)
Great fun.....

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:40 am

That's half the fun of trackdays, tuning the chassis to do what you want with the choice of tyres.
Rear ride height effects your corner exit and front height effects your turn in.
New tyres will give you a little more confidence to push thing a little harder again till it shows up the bounties of the suspension once again.
:lol: :lol: get that sorted and those pesky 400's will be chasing you as you match them through the corners
laughter is the best medicine

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:52 am

Difference between touring 60 profile and track-ish 70 profile tyre is huge, hence me taking it step by step wrt to dropping forks and raising rear.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:41 pm

So true, you need to factor in the extra 12mm tyre wall height with the 70 profile.
Figured that may have been why the last fork adjustment...
Go kick some VFR butt next time 8)

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 am

Well my third track ride was a bit odd. Armed with new needle jet and needle, new K&N filter and some new carb rubbers I expected things to run a bit better.
But it run rubbish with no low down pull. I thought my mapping was lost or corrupted. No PC with me to check the Sparker, so I rode bike as is.
Anyway with about 15 laps of Rev-Right it resolved itself, although the parts did not gain me any more performance. My original needles were not terribly worn anyway.

6 Sigma confirmed USPS lost my jetting kit, and now I will wait another 6-7 weeks for the second batch.

On a more positive note, after 3 track days I am only 1 sec off the pace of a well sorted SV with my friend having raced 2 seasons already.
2 of the Pesky 400 stay in sight, although the sorted ones are still a bit faster on the straight than me.
I get sucker into following their lines and not riding the lines suiting the Trixie. Race craft I need to gain. Diablo Rossa Corsa rear tyre at its limit...guess I should have listened and bought SC tyres.....(next time)

My mate from the UK, (ex F1 engineer) came along for some support and kept my time...also donated to me, a trick handheld lap timer.......and then supplied loads of beers after I loaded the bike. =D>

Hope to order Iridium plugs on Monday and do Relay mod on coils. (Cant even get Iridium plugs for my bike anywhere in my city. local Ducati shop used to stock Denso ones but demand is too low)
Coming Friday, I practice again....then Sat my first Race :D

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

good fun isnt it!

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:52 pm

coxylaad wrote:good fun isnt it!
great fun....and working on it myself makes it even better.
Just the long delays in getting spares is a pain

Saw an MZ1000SF up for sale....specs dont look too shabby (bar the weight)....any one ever ride one of those?

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:55 pm

I had an MZ1000 which is the faired version, not the SF which is the street fighter.

It was a fine bike, loved its exclusivity/rarity. Good build quality, powerful enough and comfy, but to be honest It was pretty porky.

Having also owned an Aprilia Falco SL1000 too, this was a far superior bike if you want a 1000cc v twin sports-tourer. Plus parts are easier to get, servicing is easier and they are a lot cheaper.

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Track day on standard NX4 (turned Race day)

Post by Racer-unk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 am

Well Saturday I had my first race. Started with some serious blues.....As the saying goes...."don't change anything before a race"
New race boots which were still very stiff and gave me no feeling caused so many false neutrals I stopped counting.
Also left the track once in qualifying due to neutral on downshift where I rely on compression. (know what you feel like Guy :roll: )
Adjust gear lever for first race and this reduced false neutrals, but still had a couple in each heat.

First heat a youngster cocked up at start in front of me and i narrowly get past him..rude awakening...Leave SVs for dead off the line.
Had a decent dice with a dude on a R6....he leaves me on entry to the straight and I chase him down for 6 corners, then decide not to outbreak him due to the occasional false neutral still plaguing me.
This went on for 5 laps before I lost touch due to a false neutral or two.

beat my experienced mate (sorted SV650) in all heats. Still some other SVs up the road on my radar. Started missing and weak around 3000rpm at start of 3rd race, but one spends very little time there, so cant say it bothered me much.

For next event i need, to at least check my plugs for the first time... :shock:....Move needle clip to middle position as needle at lowest now. (highest groove)
Do Relay mod and check coils. Replace the two missing square-ish rubbers underneath the main jets. Find race rear sets or make adapter. Drop front end a bit more and maybe raise rear a bit more.
Still not turning in quick enough and that causes to be a bit late on the throttle on exists.....hurts me on slow corners (CURRENTLY DROPPED 25MM FRONT AND 176 mm DOG-BONES)

Sunday....well I went and played bowls as usual. ( next year I think I will make history to become the first man ever to resign from a bowls club to go racing a motorcycle )
#-o

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:43 am

I enjoy to read your experiences, Unk!
Racer-unk wrote:.. Find race rear sets or make adapter. ..
You mean these:
http://www.projection-components.co.uk/ ... -488-p.asp
?

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:29 am

Tarwetijger wrote:I enjoy to read your experiences, Unk!
Racer-unk wrote:.. Find race rear sets or make adapter. ..
You mean these:
http://www.projection-components.co.uk/ ... -488-p.asp
?
I have these PC rearset plates Unk - I find them ideal for both road and trackday use. I'm 1.7m short but you can get an idea from the photo.

I was also out last weekend on a trackday had had big misfire problems in the extreme wet conditions - definately HT leads earthing out. Once the spark starts to erode through the insulation it's difficult to repair it. I'll either fit coils and lead but currently looking into Coil ON Plug coils similar to Honda CBR600.

Bowls??? Enjoy both :lol:

1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:48 am

I replaced the 7mm copper core std leads with an good quality copper core lead plus I fed that through a thick silicone hose for added insulation.
Problem solved in the wet.

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 pm

I am 6 ft and 230 pounds plus.....probably need a XJR 1300 to haul my ass around (or shall I say "big bones")
Probably be slower around the track on the XJR anyway.....and it's not a twin!

Thanks for info...I will change plug wires, as I am sure they are 23 yrs old.
Will have to have my own rear set adapters made, as ordering them takes forever to get through our postal system.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Stick with the solid copper core... :wink: