Bedford autodrome Today and track days in general.

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Silver
Site Sponsor

Bedford autodrome Today and track days in general.

Post by Silver » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Went to Bedford today. Having rebuilt the forks with new stantions and seals. Also trying out the brake conversion i just finished.
Junked the CBR 2 pot callipers in favour of CB900 4 pot callipers on home made brackets.
Brakes worked really well, but forks popped a seal in second session, so had to abandon the day.
It is a TRX by the way but has CBR600 F3 cartridge forks. They got a bit bent on a recent track day at Blyton park.
I'll get it repaired and give it another outing as i didn't enjoy today very much and may retire from the track depending if
i enjoy the next outing. Maybe i'll try Mallory as i enjoyed last time there. Perhaps Bedford is not the best track for the trx as its so fast. Seems the way track days are going is that everyone turns up on a £10,000 super bike these days with all the gear and tyre warmers etc and it doesn't seem such a friendly place anymore.
i'll get genuine honda seals this time
dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Re: Bedford autodrome Today and track days in general.

Post by coxylaad » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi mate,
I sort of understand what you mean.
I think they should have track days for lower powered bikes. it will be safer.

don't give up on it, we will get another day at cadwell at some point.

My only day at cadwell this year was a complete washout. miserable. but thats the chance you take.

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Since the seal popping i have discovered the forks are still not straight. Either the yokes are bent or headstock is bent. I have some laser equipment on loan tomorrow so hope to find out which bits need work. I was quite surprised at the damage from what seemed a fairly gently but fast low side.
I will definitely fix it one way or another and get out on it again when its all straight. I am sure it will become fun again once i have confidence in the front end.
Dave
2018 BMW G310GS

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:44 pm

Silver wrote: Seems the way track days are going is that everyone turns up on a £10,000 super bike these days with all the gear and tyre warmers etc and it doesn't seem such a friendly place anymore.
dave
Agreed - I now only do 2 stroke or 80s / 90s days

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:30 pm

yes I only started doing them in 2012, but even in that time it seems the ratio of exotic track machinery to cheapo track fun has increased massively.
its sort of a bit more serious now.

I have a group of friends that all do it together so its always good fun, I think that makes the difference.

It would be great to meet up with some of the guys on here, it happened once with Dave, it was great fun having a couple TRX's blasting around the bikes spiritual home so to speak.

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:24 am

phuk72 wrote:
Silver wrote: Seems the way track days are going is that everyone turns up on a £10,000 super bike these days with all the gear and tyre warmers etc and it doesn't seem such a friendly place anymore.
dave
Agreed - I now only do 2 stroke or 80s / 90s days
Have not been around much of late but am still lurking in the back ground :D

I share similar feelings about track riding and now and then consider giving up and buying a 911 4S (mid life crisis?) as an indulgent road toy.

Then I have another great track day and I'm back on it.

Tried a road bike only MSV day at Snetterton in May thinking that maybe some of the tyre warmer missiles would not be there. Turned out to be a huge day. Hardly any riders, out every 20mins (2 groups) and loads of track space. Fantastic. It was even dry all day. It was the 200 circuit and the Tuono was pulling 2nd/3rd gear power wheelies over the bumps onto the back straight.

Then thinking I had found the answer did the same at Bedford in July and almost came home after the first two sessions. So many really slow riders on the brakes and in the turns it felt quite dangerous and yet it was still very difficult to pass the 180hp IL4's between turns and that was caning the Tuono terribly.

I ran on, out braking myself at the end of the back straight desperately trying to pass a GSXR1000K9 who was ruining almost every line for me and only luck kept me upright entering 3ft high grass at 100mph :shock: It is alarming when you are at the red line in 5th and the guy in front of you hits the brakes literally 100yds earlier than he needs to. I'm not bigging myself up here; maybe I need to moderate my expectations and accept that there will always be a wide range of different speeds and abilities??

Gave it one more session before possibly heading for home and made sure I was out at the very front of the group to try to get some clear track. This worked brilliantly and saved the day. Had some really good sessions and latched onto a few fluid riders on a naked S1000R, K5 GSXR and a 675. Stuck with it and popped on my £75 pair of SC1 Supercorsas (Brands BSB paddock buy) at lunchtime and had a great afternoon.

I still drove home thinking I need to buy V4 Tuono or a modern 1000 to be able to ride how I want to (away from erratic traffic) but I honestly don't want to ride any faster (in terms of top speed). The Tuono is stunning on track, like a faster TRX, but I often lean towards packing it in to pursue another hobby. Hill climbing appeals and know a guy with an old Ford Model A which he uses to tear up gravel tracks in the lake district against the clock.

Dunno what the answer is. I'll keep the Tuono for now and may get out in Sept. I think I need to accept that now and then I will have a slightly duff day out mixed in with some really good ones.

Riding with other people you know certainly adds to the day and enjoyed the few days where I have bumped into Silver. Need to get together with Coxy too so that we can talk Aprilia mods all day.

I'll keep an eye out to see what dates people are planning.

Keep at it I say...................though I wouldn't mind buying a 90's FZ750 and using that on track. Had a blue D reg one years ago and loved it.

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:45 am

Phil i agree with everything you say, except the hill climb/sprinting in cars. Tried that for a season in a scimitar SST and the actual driving time for the day is about 4 minutes. Dreadful!.
I will persevere with the TRX until i get it running right again.
Forks are straight now but bottom yoke is badly bent and top yoke slightly twisted.I'll get that sorted and try another day on hopefully one where i know someone else.
I cant see the point of buying a rocket like everyone else and still getting baulked in the turns.
I really fancy doing one on the BMW and have done road bike only days before and they do make a more friendly paddock.
Hope to see you on track, Dave
2018 BMW G310GS

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:04 am

Dave

Message received!! I will shelve the hill climb idea.

Came back from 2 weeks in France in our old T4 camper at the weekend and sat in a queue for the ferry next to a BMW F800.

Did make me think what a good all round bike they must be. Nice styling too. Might have a look to see what they cost.

Shall we try to get a Snetterton 200 or 300 date booked for later this year? You can hop on the Tuono for a session if you like. I am moving house this month I hope but should be able to do a September or October date.

Don't know if Snetterton is too far for Coxy to join us??

I'll look into it...........................

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Phil, I rather like snetterton 300. The only downside is its such a boring drive to get to, but the circuit is really nice. Sept/oct sounds good as i'm off to IOM in a couple of weeks for the Manx GP. Have a look at BMW F800S/ST they have 95hp, belt drive (brilliant) and genuine 65MPG even at 90 on the motorway. Cheap too, you may pick one up for less than 2 grand. Mine is an 06 with ABS and a few bm extras and had a new belt for £2400.They dont use any oil! yes really! The belt needs replacing at about 24000 and they are quite expensive. I rather like the F800R but i wouldnt want another roadbike with a chain.
Let me know what you book and i'll try to book the same.
2018 BMW G310GS

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:32 pm

Found an F800S on ebay for £1750 starting bid. 07 plate and v clean. 32k miles.

Quite tempting and have never yet seen one on the track. I am toying with going back on the road and this would be perfect for the odd track day as well.

I have not been to mallory for ages and will check this as an option. I love the circuit. It's 90mins for me to Snetterton and 2hrs to Mallory or Donnington. All are dull drives!!

I'll be in touch with some dates. Enjoy the Manx and good luck with your yokes.

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:37 pm

At the moment I am more angry at god for making it p1ss down every time I do a track day, them mock me by splitting the pavements with sun the following day.

I really fancy snetterton but its a massive journey for me. One day.
Cadwell will be our meeting point more than likely.

I have croft booked this Thursday, hopefully it will be my first dry track day of the year. I will get to fully try out the Sigma slipper clutch.

I have to admit I still havent gelled with the RSV yet. it just feels massive compared to my trx.

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Coxy

I imagine the RSV does feel odd compared to a TRX, probably because of the low bars. It's only 185kg's dry I think so not so much heavier.

I thought the Tuono felt massive when I first got it and really top heavy but with wide high bars there is plenty of leverage to hang onto it. Brakes are stunning, ground clearance huge, and even when it is getting wild (usually because I have messed up) it is very forgiving. Fast too with a few cheap mods............that you've already done.

Changing the non return valve in the clutch line has made all the difference to the OEM slipper action. Didn't have any rear wheel hopping at Bedford and no need to feather the clutch manually as I was at Snetterton.

Not sure what tyres you are using but a 180/60 SC1 supercorsa rear made mine even better. Old one was a 55 profile and had to remove the rear hugger to get enough clearance on diameter.

Fingers crossed for you for a dry one this Thursday.

I'll look at Cadwell and see how far it is for me. Have never been and would be good to ride a new circuit.

Phil

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:47 pm

WHAT! Never ridden Cadwell. One of the nicest circuits anywhere.
2018 BMW G310GS

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 pm

MSV have a general bike track day on Sun 20th Sept for £139.

Need to clear it with the chief before I book.

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:32 pm

.................at Cadwell that is!!