Tuono first outing Brands Indy

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Tuono first outing Brands Indy

Post by misterdimwiddy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:47 pm

Lovely sunny day at Brands today and first time I have swung my leg over the Tuono.

I realise this is a Yamaha forum but for those who eventually move on from the TRX, I cannot recommend the Tuono highly enough.

Many said get one, you'll love it and they were so right :D

I cannot fault it in any way.

First session with brand new Brembo SC front pads meant bad brakes for a few laps but these quickly bedded in.

Then quickly started to wind it up and found it to be all that the tuned TRX was and a lot more. Loads of power; quick enough with -1/+2 gearing changes (airbox mod, Eprom changed and collector mod) to stay with most of the litre bikes coming out of Clearways and all the way to Paddock. It's hard to describe but the motor is like a big turbine which just keeps on pulling. Much more quiet than the TRX even with airbox mods and MTC Ti can and quite revvy but not so powerful as to be intimidating.

The brakes are amazing particularly with the SC pads. They bite immediately you grab the lever and no need for the rear brake at all. Early laps it was fish tailing now and then into Druids despite the vacuum slipper clutch but once I kept off the rear brake it behaved itself.

Afrer three sessions I was getting a bit carried away with my new toy and had a wild moment turning into Paddock Hill. The rear let go approaching the apex and I had to stand it up and get rid of some speed before running wide and having to enter the 18" deep gravel trap. It was a real slow motion 'Oh no I'm about to dump it at Paddock of all places' and hanging onto it through someone elses ploughed line in the gravel towards the armco, I was lucky not to hop off. I emerged unscathed and took it as a clear message to back off a bit and try less hard.

Rest of the day was good smooth riding and no dramas; it is so easy to ride fast, it's comfortable, light and agile, has stacks of ground clearance and you can almost do entire laps in one gear it is so torquey. Even when it does get a bit hairy, the wide bars make it easy to hang onto.

First track day I have done where I did not need to top up the oil!! Such a pleasure to eat the R6's on the straights for a change.

I did a swap with my brother and rode his 05 ZX10R but we both preferred the grunt of the Tuono and he's out to buy one now.

All in all a superb replacement for my much loved TRX and only cost me £1850 + £250 for tuning goodies. Awesome.

Snetterton or Bedford next.

Yoozy
Site Sponsor

Re: Tuono first outing Brands Indy

Post by Yoozy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:24 pm

=D> :D
A GUT FULL OF ALE AND A HEAD FULL OF MAGIC

www.tuonoworld.com

Kev44
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Kev44 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:15 am

Sounds like i blast, i raced a Mille for 4 years and cannot praise them enough i loved them :D :D

As for Brands and Paddock Hill bend ahem #-o I cant possibly comment this was October 2006 in my first year of racing, after sliding down the hill the old girl caught the kerb half way down which launched it into the air cartwheeling and it came down on the arse end, so i'm told i was face down buried in the gravel :?

TRX850 Cafe Racer, Ducati 749 Hybrid, Aprilia SXV550, KTM525EXC, new cafe racer project watch this space!

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Fri May 02, 2014 11:13 am

Sounds like a good day out to me!

The 1000cc rotax engine in the Aprilias is amazing, and a logical next-step from the TRX.

I know, I've done it too: now got a '04 SL1000 Falco. Like you, bought for relatively peanuts, and loving every minute of it.

Will get another TRX sometime too though, when funds allow.

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Fri May 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Kev44 wrote:Sounds like i blast, i raced a Mille for 4 years and cannot praise them enough i loved them :D :D

As for Brands and Paddock Hill bend ahem #-o I cant possibly comment this was October 2006 in my first year of racing, after sliding down the hill the old girl caught the kerb half way down which launched it into the air cartwheeling and it came down on the arse end, so i'm told i was face down buried in the gravel :?

Nasty; I am relieved that I did not manage that on my first outing.

Not sure if it was a clumsy down change that slid the rear or over enthusiasm on insufficiently warmed Diablo Rosso's. Much prefer Supercorsa BSB's and will go to these soon but the Diablos on it are too good to bin.

It was such a good day I am still doing laps 2 days later :D

Now I am after a proper slipper clutch and a box of spares (levers, pegs etc).

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Fri May 02, 2014 7:29 pm

sounds fun, I remember when i switched to an aprilia, but i'm back now!
Had a blast on the fully road legal (TRX) track bike today. Digital speedo has a mind of its own.
Nice to be able to check all is well before a track day though.
Have fun in the lanc next week.
Dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:23 am

trixynut wrote:The 1000cc rotax engine in the Aprilias is amazing, and a logical next-step from the TRX.
Yep - I've got a variant of that lump in my Buell 1125R. A few upgrades (61mm throttle bodies, race map, race exhaust etc.) and it is knocking out the lions share of 150bhp at the wheel :)